ChoMPerS

Wile E Coyotie

Vintage
Good Client/friend of mine - Gone now but not forgotten Erwin Brown - Pictured above - enjoying his senior years - this shot framed in 2001-

Saskatchewan briefly had a season available to non residence to allow non resident hunting of coyotes - and we made several heavy excursion back in those days - eating on the run -hopping fences- digging out of snow banks- u name it- I would guess his age then - at 80---

- The day this picture was taken - was the day I became a believer in the 220 swift - He came into camp with 2 identical Pre 64 Winchesters Model 70 with heavy barrels -in .220 Swift - and handed me one of them - telling me - - use this gun on this trip- you will never regret it -
- look at the pic again u will note 2 of the 3 are head shot- - him posing with his first triple-

--iether this day or the next - while using the heavy barrel winchester he gave me to use - I harvested my 1st and only Bob Cat on call -

He went on to write about the tales we lived in one of his books found on line anywhere - here - -http://www.abebooks.com/9781934690130/Hunting-World-Adventures-Erwin-Brown-1934690139/plp -

- He also went on to shoot one of North Americas largest free ranging whitetails - but by that time he had already conquered the world list of hunt-able species --- I am not pimping the book - truthfully written its a exceptional read for those who like hunting adventures-

I was sorting through some photos and found this classic of him - was good times - i learned alot from him - back then we never carried a camera with us everywhere - and so early digital photos r special for me --
-anyways a tribute to the old timers who took their time to share their knowledge --cheers!

Well i got it done i broke through the 1000 mark--- went down to the sheep ranch on Wednesday- out of home base in the dark for the 45 min drive--

I can pretty much pick my own schedule -so I have become almost a weather expert by checking and re checking long range weather forecast - We have been getting some big winds - I figured Wednesday was the day to try and pretty much lucked out at day light - winds r slight NW 10 MPH-- Temps mins 3C( 29F)-

1st set
I stashed the Tacoma into the tree row- but neglected to notice why all the cows were heading my way when I started up the hill to the fence line I had picked out -- all 200 head of cows think my truck is delivering early grub and soon I am swarmed by cows - most blow by the truck to seek out the human figure before them scrambling up the hill side --I make the fence line about the time the mass arrival -
any alert animal within 1mile has to notice 200 cows on the run - it makes quite a noise - I am convinced - its over game is done-and sit to gather my breath a bit- I am not a cowboy and the thought of getting back on the same side of the fence as all these cows is not appealing to me ---
- I notice the rancher coming with the grain cart and- in a few mins the 200 cows are trotting off to the south of me - to grind the chow that the ever faithful farmer provides-- I watch it happen and in about 20 mins its all settled down again quiet --
I am in position and ready and have pre scouted the set up although it is new to me-

Because there is alot of pheasant around--I go with Pheasant in distress- just loud enough that i can hear it --about 2 mins into it--I catch a movement and I position the swift in that direction-- I can see him moving through the sage quartering my position --170 yrds - I try hard to get it to stop barking loud but - but no way--soon to enter my sink zone - i fired - and missed - ?? Ihave mixed feelings -#*!!!# -^^

on to the next set

2nd set -- beautiful spot new one for me - stopped at the ranch and got permission - overlooking big valley and sheep ranch- --lady rancher - was very interested/impressed- in how I call what i do - suggesting -she wants to take pictures of coyote coming in on the call - with big camera set up-??-

- I am a solo guy and so not often do i have pretty gal in the truck wanting to take picture of critters that are about to get --a hair cut- --
I again explained my job to her- and she insisted that next time i was to give her the call to set up the adventure -so with huge tracks of land full of coyotes and monster mulies at stake-- i will take one - for the sheep/ team guys and keep u posted

2nd set -- 2:30 -- I blow a 366 yrd shot @ 17 mins -as coyote skirts my wind- firing just over it- -trajectory on elevation 25 MPH down stream winds

3 rd set - now 5:00pm-- winds have almost die off - still NW 5 MPH -plus 5C
I stashed the Tacoma along side of the dug out dam - it hosts the only tree i can see--I have to walk about 100 yards and I own - almost all of the compass- new location

I go all in and start with stress Bark Bark bark for about 3mins -Then Pup distress -
I can hear a coyote barking back at me before i switch to pup in distress--I know for sure she is off my horizon to the NW through the tree- my view is obstructed but she has got to b close- inside death zone- I cannot see her --i try to find her but cannot-

- I notice now across the field is a inbound coyote-- straight as an arrow coming hard out of the SE into my trap having time to range him inside 200 yrds on the trott- it is wide open grass lands and he is huge on the landscape - at ground level-on 10X
he catches my loud command bark and pulls up to a stop - catching ID #1000 subadult male white sable straw white- 4:30 seconds on the clock -- no BB deer for him

4 setup -- i can see the drainage before me-- stretches out a few miles so I reposition the Tacoma on the next rd south into the deep ditch Tonka style off the horizon

its real flat and before i find my nest coyotes sound off --this can sometime b a bad thing --they r very alert and aware of their environment -- I press on and in a slight dip find my nest placing the Box with Mojo up wind 45 yrds--

sun is setting so this is the final set - coyotes are sounding off all around the compass--it is --the perfect time of day -- with hand call i say - my sweetest --hello - and get a grufffy warning immediately --
- I sitt the next 10 mins silent-- then from the same area I get 2 responding tell me the same - one much deeper than the other -it clear to me they r out there a ways-- but its very flat and judging distances is tough -- with the rangefinder i am able to find both dogs standing profiling- 400 yrds out --- I watch them sound off then scratch the ground-- clearly I am in the middle of territorry the rd where the truck is stashed the boundry--

--i sit quiet - to 17 mins-- then get the pup in distress on and watch them take off in bound- its getting darker now- I am low on their horizon and they disappear into the low flat ahead of me --- am ready and see one blending into the sage - coming to a stop head and face- - on 10 X i figure its a big enough target - mayb 200 yrds out there --

- I am watching it -and see it is looking at its mate - when i lowered my eye away from the gun to find the 2nd one standing 100 yrds staring at the decoy-- -Is an easy choice - DRT #1001 Adult Aplha male- White Sable white big dogg may b 40lbs - Check out ChoMPerS - Above Average Example -No more sheep for him

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Congrats on a truly impressive milestone! 1000 coyotes is a number that only a serious coyote hunter can truly appreciate. The miles walked, hours on stand combined with the perseverance to endure the blank stands, close calls and near misses to achieve such an accomplishment are nothing short of extraordinary. Best of luck on the next 1000.

Fantastic!! Been checking everyday for this post! Congrats on the milestone number. And thanks again for a detailed account of your hunt. Fun to read always.
Looking forward to more of your posts, good luck hunting.

Back