A buddy and I went on a hunting trip..

Kollincoyote

A buddy and I went on a little trip as we've done in the past and had a good time considering the weather was warm and windy.

We got to our hunting area mid afternoon the first day and made a few blank stands until the 1.5 mile trek to our last stand of the day.
The sun was setting fast and we got setup and within 8 mins we had a triple coming in right in front of us. The back one stopped at 100 yards and I MISSED... DANG IT!!!

The next morning after the first stand and having coyotes answer us from every direction I really wanted to check my gun... turns out it was 4 in high at 100...

Well I'm glad we checked it.
The next stand we got setup and with in minutes I had a coyote in front of me at 18 yards.. bang..
1st coyote of the trip is on the ground.

The next 6 stands were all blank with nothing but warm weather and more wind. At one point I looked over and seen my buddy had taken his boots off mid stand!!Lol

Even with all the blank stands we still were having fun.. the last stand of the night was pretty dang cool for us.

We setup facing west right into the sun so I waited until it fell below the horizon before I started calling. There has been coyotes howling around us for 20 mins or so and when it was time to start calling I let out a few howls and about 10 minutes later we had 2 straight down from us.
They came up the hill and started going to our right. When the smoke cleared we had both coyotes on the ground. 44 yards and 105 yards.

The next morning we woke up to wet ground from the rain the night before and no wind.. which was nice..

The first stand we got setup and I seen one mousing around in front of us.. I stared on my mouth call Tweety and with in minutes it was coming and it got to 160 yards and my buddy shot and missed... DANG..

The next spot we were calling for about 12 minutes and 2 coyotes popped out in front of us. My buddy couldn't get turned without them seeing us so I took the one on the left. You can see it in the center of this pic..106 yds

The very next stand we had one pop out of some ceders at 140 yards and we both shot right as it snuck back in.. both missed!! It was 11 am at this time and we finished the day with blank stand after blank stand..here's a few pics

The last morning we setup at a spot and within 15 minutes had one coming in slow to a stop and my buddy shot and dropped this mangy one..

All in all it was a fun trip.. Warm weather sure makes it tough. My buddy was wearing a fitbit bracelet and over the course of the trip we walked 34 miles. We saw 17 coyotes. Called in 11 and got 5. All worth it. Lots of memories I thought I'd share with ya. Thanks for reading

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Looks like you had a great time. Great write-up and pics. What state did you hunt in? Looking to take a trip soon.

That's a great trip for sure.

Nothing like relaxing a little bit and kicking the shoes off, but maybe your buddy's feet caused the blank stands. LOL.

That's some pretty country too.

I don't blame him for kicking his boots off. 34 miles, that's hoofing it. Glad yall had some success and most of a good time.

AZ-Di-Ht

Warm in that country is a whole other thing than warm in AZ. You have to consider what cold is, when it is cold you can spit on the sidewalk and it bounces or pee in the snow and you have little yellow icicles sticking up out of the snow. In that country when it hits 50 degrees everyone cuts school and heads for the park for a kegger. It is NEVER too cold to fish and if the gun will fire it's warm enough to hunt.

I grew up in that county and every couple of weeks during the winter my mom would have to move the furniture away from the walls and thaw the frost off the walls.

Nice hunt.

Last edited:
Back