I deserved this dark female....

bhw

Gang,

I have had some bad shooting this past weekend as I missed 2 daytime coyotes. I skipped last night because of the high wind and decided to set the alarm a little extra early on Sunday morning. I was setup as the first spot at 5:30 AM. Two lone howls started the set and then I followed up with Cottontail Screams from the Shockwave. At the 5 minute mark I muted the sound and scanned the terrain.

Suddenly, I saw a light in the distance that I had never noticed at this location before. It appeaared to be slowly approaching my field. Snowmobile? ATV? I did not know what I was looking at, but it was moving slowly. Now it had crossed a hedgerow and was in my field. I decided to blast it with the FireEye and the light stopped progressing. It must have been someone on foot who was either attracted by my howls or was going to set up somewhere nearby - which would have been trespassing. The light was stationary for a couple of minutes and then went back the way from which it came. I figured the hunt may be over with someone roaming around, but turned the call back on and instantly got eyes approaching... right near where the light just was!!!

At first, I thought that maybe the person had a dog and I was calling that in. However, I could soon see that I was dealing with a coyote. I was stoked!!

The coyote trotted slowly toward the call and decoy. It zig-zagged all the way in.. never stopping! I must admit that I was shaking like a leaf in the excitement of the hunt. The coyote had its nose down and came in like a blood hound. I could clearly see it was a coyote, but it looked very dark and had very light colored legs. When the coyote got to 100 yards, I was ready to shot. Well, sort of because now I was REALLy shaking. At a time when I should be calm and collected, my only thoughts were "Don't miss, Don't miss"

The coyote stoppled by a makeshift stream of runoff water in the field and I took the shot... nailing the beast in the neck and dropping it on the spot!! I was thrilled and celebrated by myself in the field. I also wondered what the trespasser thought when I took the shot only minutes after he left the field!

I raced off to another farm at daybreak, but not other action was realized. That was OK, after my recent misses I really enjoyed this hunt!

a7be26222e9a1a9991b0d8046bc2e616_zpshxyl9pnk.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

thumbup.gif
That's great colored coyote! I think the trespasser just took the leash of that husky mix before you put the smack down. lol

That's a mighty fine looking coyote right there. Congrats on your success. We all miss sometimes but redemption is SWEET! Poaching sux, I know cause I deal with way to often where I live.

That is a nice colored yote but makes me wonder were that coloration came from. A friend of mine shot a 50 pounder last year with the same coloration.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiNice one, great colors.

Maybe that light was the ghost of yotes passed... don't they carry lanterns?

I don't know... but now i'm scared!!!

Back