Sako 75 or 85 .223 worth the cost?

redhaven

I was wondering if the Sako 75's or 85's were worth the extra price over the CZ 527 or Howa Mini Action? I like the "micro action" .223 rifles, and I am looking to pick up a new one. (Would love a Sako L461 or AI, but hard to find at a reasonable price.)

I have a CZ in .22 Hornet, and it is a great little rifle. I was going to just get another one in .223, but the Sako keeps luring me in.

Let me know your experience. I know everyone's opinions vary.

Sako are very nice, I have a little Vixen in 222 and it is a joy to shoot. Hey are up there in price when you find them but once you get it and start shooting it you kinda forget about how much you paid for it. There are some nice ones on Gun Broker right now with a bid at 900.00 but I'm sure it will go for more than that.

I had a Sako A1 in 223 and they are sweet rifles. I hardly even shot the rifle so I sold it. They are pretty hard to find, but really nice rifles. Some Sakos feed so smooth you will wonder if it chambered a round or skipped over it.

MY CZ 527 though not as refined shot just a nice.

I have a Sako 75 Hunter .223. It is very nice in every way and to me worth every penny paid over the other makes. I have or have owned them too.
Here is a recent group sighting in factory reloads off the tailgate. These are Ultramax Nosler 50 gr.
[img:center]
2uhle05.jpg
[/img]

Ill keep this simple...yes sako is worth the money. Put in a but of time searching and you can usually find what your looking for and save a few bucks over the average sale price.

I guess I will keep looking for a Sako 75, AI, or L461 then. Sometimes paying a little extra and getting what you want is worth it in the long run.

Now, Varmint or Hunter configuration....

Unless you are getting it for prairie dog type shooting, or use at the range, I'd go with something of mid or lighter weight. No sense carrying all the extra weight around for the few shots while hunting.

Yes, the Sako is worth the cost. I have a Sako L461 (Vixen) in 222RemMag, made in 1963. Very sweet shooter.

If this is the rifle you will shoot the most, why not make it a nice one???

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 Unless you are getting it for prairie dog type shooting, or use at the range, I'd go with something of mid or lighter weight. No sense carrying all the extra weight around for the few shots while hunting.

That was my thought. The Varmint models seem to be more available, but I'd rather have the lighter weight model.

Go with the lighter weight for sure. I have two Sako Vixens now a 222 and a 17rem. I'm always on the look out for them now. I constantly watch Gun Broker and Guns America for a good deal on one. There is nothing better than the Vixen action.

Originally Posted By: jndI think a Sako is worth the money I would prefer them over the Cooper.
Joe

As much as it pains me to say this.....I'd have agree.....

PS....I know you didn't ask but take a look at Kimber too....

Last edited:
My Sako 75 Hunter in .223 with a Leupold 2.5 - 10 is my favorite coyote rifle. The action is appropriately sized to the cartridge. It has a superb trigger and regularly shoots 100 yard groups under 3/4". I love the fact that the flush mounted detachable magazine holds SIX rounds. The short bolt lift makes for fast shooting and is so smooth that the bolt works as easily loaded as unloaded. I can shoot running coyotes more effectively with this Sako than with my ARs. Worth the money? You bet!

Only you can determine if the extra money for a Sako is worth it. I don't know too many Sako owners who regret their decision, however. I have a L461. Beautiful fit and finish, silky smooth action, and shoots tiny little groups. Worth it? Personally I think so.

Back