T/C Omega and Blackhorn 209

vahunter

I decided to jump on the Blackhorn bandwagon but so far I'm not impressed at all. I do like the lack of smoke after the shot but the groups are no where near what I am getting with 777. Also after firing 6 shots it took just as many patches if not more to clean it. I'm using hornady 250gr sst's and 70 grains (by weight) of blackhorn. Does anyone have a accurate load using the omega? I was thinking about a slightly heavier charge. With 777 I get a big ragged hole with 3 shots at 100 and so far with the blackhorn I'm getting 8"-10" 3 shot groups. Thanks

It didn't impress me that much either. I tried it in my Omega and did get better results than your getting but went back to my 777 powder and called it a day. I also tried it in my CVA and didn't care for it either. The 777 powder gave me acceptable accuracy but just OK. I went to Pyrodex pellets in the CVA and its a hammer so I called it well enough. Our season is only 9 days, not long enough to make me take it any further. It will smack deer hard and I don't have to chase them.....done deal for me!!

This is 3 shots at 100 yards from my T/C Omega Z5. It will do this time and time again. The load is a 250 grain Shockwave on top of 110 grains of Triple 7 and a standard Winchester 209 primer. I clean the exact same way after every shot (same # of wet and dry patches and same # of strokes), level of clean is not as important as consistency.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntThis is 3 shots at 100 yards from my T/C Omega Z5. It will do this time and time again. The load is a 250 grain Shockwave on top of 110 grains of Triple 7 and a standard Winchester 209 primer. I clean the exact same way after every shot (same # of wet and dry patches and same # of strokes), level of clean is not as important as consistency.

That's about the same size group I get with 777. I'm using CCI 209 primers. What I didn't do that I do with the 777 is clean after every shot.`I didn't think it would be necessary with the blackhorn but looks like I could be wrong. I'll try some more with cleaning after every shot. Thanks

If you want to get the best results from BH 209, you need a magnum primer and a heavy, consistent pressure on the charge. I do not wipe or clean the barrel between shots. BH 209 leaves a light layer of soot in the barrel and each successive loading has the same resistance as the first.

I switched from 777 to BH209 in my Omega Z5 about 5 years ago. I shoot both 200gr and 250gr Shockwaves with outstanding results. My Omega was excellent with 777 but I didn't like the crud ring and constant swabbing. I carefully measure out my BH209 loads ahead of time at exactly 80gr by weight. I get MOA or better groups with both bullets and do NOT swab between shots. I clean when the range session or season is over! My gun shows no corrosion and amazingly consistent with BH209. As mentioned earlier,....You must use regular 209 primers intended for smokeless shotshells. BH209 performs poorly when special black powder 209 primers are used!

Also what breech plug are you using ? It seems like I remember some T/C breech plugs were not best to use with loose powder ?

My Omega runs blackhorn just fine with 1 1/4" groups being the norm, with just a 1x scope.

I get the same out of my LHR.

Last edited:
Yeah somethings not right...

I'd try 110 grains by volume of the blackhorn, the powder charge makes a difference in accuracy. I don't get why it would be dirtier than 777, IMO its no comparison the blackhorn doesn't leave any soot. Are you cleaning with water based cleaner for blackpowder? Your supposed to use typical solvent like hoppe's #9.

At the range swab with a dry patch (no cleaner) in between shots. After you take a shot, remove the breech plug and dry-swab it. Then fire a primer before you reload it to slightly soot up the barrel. If you want to fire a group repeat this procedure three times in a row. This is in the name of consistency so your barrel is roughly the same for each subsequent shot. I do this before I load it for hunting aswell, fire a primer on a clean barrel then load then I tape it off.

Just the dry patch as long as it's tight fitting should bring the barrel back to almost brand new, that BH cleans up well with no solvent whatsoever. Having the barrel slightly fouled makes a huge difference. More details on your procedure would be helpful.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe all Omega breach plugs are the same. It seems like I remember there being a change made to them at some point and the older ones did not work well with Blackhorn. Something about a more concave shape where it meets the powder.

Maybe post up a pic of your breach plug and we can compare?

I have shot 18 shots in a row with Blackhorn, no swabbing between shots, and the last three grouped the best. It just kept getting better the more I shot it.

Last edited:
I used regular solvent to clean it after firing the 6 shots. I did not swab the barrel after each shot like I'd do with 777. Maybe it's just the charge I was using. I'll try the 110 grain by volume that was mentioned and see what that does. I use regular CCI 209 primers. I guess I'll just have to try a few different charges to see what works best. I really appreciate all the help and if I can't get the blackhorn to shoot well then I'll just go back to 777. Thanks Again

I normally use 100 grains by volume. Your load should be fine, but every gun has its likes. You might try a heavier bullet as well. Mine likes the 300 grain Hornady XTP in a crush rib Harvester sabot.

How was your ignition with the Blackhorn ? Was there any hint of a Hang fire ?

If so I would get a blow torch cleaning tip or tiny little drill bit, and clean out the flash hole with that. You may have a crudded up flash hole that normal cleaning does not cut?

Update.. Tried it again today using 110 grains by volume and swabbing between shots with 3 dry patches. It made a world of difference. I shot 3 times at a 1" dot at 100 yards. First shot hit the dot, second cut the top of the dot and third hit almost the same hole as the first. So I'm looking at about a 1" group. I guess I'll call that good enough.

Sounds like you are on track. I've been a B209 convert since early on, shooting one of my Knights. I like being able to set the gun down some after shooting, overnight, without worrying about corrosion.

Not saying most any substitute can't kill a deer, but all I use now is B209.

I shoot 100gr by volume and weigh first poured charge. 300 gr precision rifle dead center and gun continues to impress me. I do clean between shots and use cci primers

Originally Posted By: danthefoxmanI shoot 100gr by volume and weigh first poured charge. 300 gr precision rifle dead center and gun continues to impress me. I do clean between shots and use cci primersWhere are you getting the PR bullets? My buddy loves them but said he can't find them anywhere.

Originally Posted By: vahunterUpdate.. Tried it again today using 110 grains by volume and swabbing between shots with 3 dry patches. It made a world of difference. I shot 3 times at a 1" dot at 100 yards. First shot hit the dot, second cut the top of the dot and third hit almost the same hole as the first. So I'm looking at about a 1" group. I guess I'll call that good enough.

Nice, happy to hear that worked out for you.

Vance beat me to it. If you order I think it's 10 packs you get a pretty good price break. My first ones I bought from cabelas but I don't think they carry them anymore.

Back