6x45 or 25x45 Sharps ? Which is better?

I am a sucker for the .25cal stuff, mostly cause spent most of my early years dragging around a 25-06 that treated me well. I am in the thinking stages of a deer capable AR preferably using the 223 case. I keep saying 6x45 and keep thinking 25x45. What little i have see/reah on the sharps round is that while plenty accurate for hunting purposes it doesn't seem to be as accurate as the 6x45? Any comments to that end?

Jim

Originally Posted By: jimmypI am a sucker for the .25cal stuff, mostly cause spent most of my early years dragging around a 25-06 that treated me well. I am in the thinking stages of a deer capable AR preferably using the 223 case. I keep saying 6x45 and keep thinking 25x45. What little i have see/reah on the sharps round is that while plenty accurate for hunting purposes it doesn't seem to be as accurate as the 6x45? Any comments to that end?

Jim

I think bullet choices and realistically the 25 is not common. The more shooters the more exposure and the more data being posted. IMHO

Greg

Nothing wrong with small base dies. Yes, they ensure flawless functioning in the AR. Some chambers are just too tight. It doesn't hurt anything to use small base dies.

Originally Posted By: MGYSGTNothing wrong with small base dies. Yes, they ensure flawless functioning in the AR. Some chambers are just too tight. It doesn't hurt anything to use small base dies.

they may not necessarily hurt anything as far as performance goes, but they may lead to shortening your brass life a bit.

by their nature of sizing down to minimum specs they're working the brass harder than a standard FL sizing die would. there's the potential see more neck growth (that brass has to flow somewhere), require more trimming and likely have case-web separations or neck splits earlier.

I have SB dies on my bench, but i've yet to find a chamber on one of my guns that needs them. i only use them for first time sizing brass that my regular FL dies wont resize properly so they fail a sheridan gauge (which is cut to minimum chamber - which is just larger than maximum cartridge dimensions). this so far for me has only applied to once fired MG brass - raw military stuff on its first processing. Kind of like swaging crimps out of the primer pockets. Otherwise they're pretty lonely there in their boxes.

Generally speaking if you can size to pass a sheridan gauge - unless you have an EXTREMELY tight chamber - you should be more than fine chambering in your rifle with a good quality FL die for everyday use.

if i had to guess why midway sells the SB dies cheaper - its because they're much less commonly used, but thats pure speculation on my part.

hth

I built and reloaded AR's in 6x45 and 300 Blackout. I sold all of my equipment for both and standardized on 5.56 and .308 for my AR rifles. I found that neither caliber offered enough of a practical improvement over the 5.56 to justify loading additional calibers. With the 6x45 for the most part you are limited to 90 gain bullets or lighter due to the magazine length and ogive of 6mm bullets. Some shooters may find value in the slight increase in ballistsics of the 6x45 over the.556.I did not.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI like the better selection of 6mm bullets. Lots of people using 223's on deer now-a-days.

When Kansas made any centerfire cartridge legal I sold my 6x45's. They were very accurate and fun to shoot, but with the 62 g. and 70 g. barnes bullets in .224, there was just no point in them for me anymore. The 6x45's do pack more wallup when you run 70-80 grain varmint bullets on coyotes then the 50-60 grain .224's do, but not enough to justify having both when your not limited to 6mm on medium game anymore IMHO.

The 25x45 really shines in a bolt gun because .25 cast bullets are availible in bulk and make it so very versatile. The selection of lighter 6mm bullets make it a better option for an AR. I have bolt guns in 6x45, 6mm/204 and 25/204.

Back