Anyone have the Sako A7 Coyote?

CZ527

I'm thinking about buying this rifle as an extra. It seems really nice and I like that it has a 3-lug bolt. I'm looking at the 22-250, even though it's a 1-14. I'd eventually rebarrell it to a medium sized 6mm, probably the 6x47L.

Anyway... Any major concerns or issues? The only Sako I can find in person has a poorly fitted stock, but otherwise a very nice rifle.

Last edited:
For that much money there shouldn't be anything cheap plastic on it, but there is. For just a little more money you can get into a sako 85 lite. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the gun, just not a fan of plastic on an expensive rifle.

I am interested in what you're saying, what stock is on the 85 lite?

I agree about the plastic stock, but it is "good" plastic, reminded me very much of magpul products, and it's aluminum bedding block should help.

If the 85 comes in a short, I'd give it a look. Actually, I'm going to look it up right now.

The A7 coyote is supposed to have a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock. Appears to be a nice rifle. The 85 Finlight only has a 20" barrel which is rather short for 22-250.

Two of my calling partners nought that exact rifle this week along with an A7 in 300 win mag. We are shooting them this weekend do I will report back.

They look and feel great!

Can't wait! I really like that rifle, and I never do like the factory stuff.
In particular, I'm wondering about any gaps around the action in the stock. The one A7 I saw was pretty hollow behind the tang. Hopefully they're not all that way. Also, how heavy is the barrel? A couple of real life pics would be nice. Thanks.

Last edited:
Rifle is very light. I love the stock and the fluted barrel. It didn't like the hotter close to max charges in benchmark or imr8208xbr.

The 300 win mag shot very well.

Originally Posted By: Hayabusa1321Rifle is very light. I love the stock and the fluted barrel. It didn't like the hotter close to max charges in benchmark or imr8208xbr.

The 300 win mag shot very well.

What group sizes?

Both of those would be faster than what I would use. Hopefully he finds something that works.

Last edited:
The 22-250 shot the best at just under half inch with both 35.5 of benchmark and 8208 both right at 3700 fps. He was hoping to get faster and stay tight but no dice.

Got as high as 3855 with 36.2 grains but groups opened up.

The 300 Win Mag shot .435 several times with factory 180 superformance rounds. Didnt have time to reload yet.

Half MOA is what I'd be looking for. I'm sure that's easily doable. It'll show up in the classifieds otherwise. I think I'll go ahead and snag one.

When you say light it does worry me a little. Are they smaller than a standard sporter barrel? I thought it was about like a 3 from the pictures.

I have what looks like the same thing: an A7 "Varmint" Cabela's special, in .243 Win.: Fluted 24 in. barrel, polished bolt handle, B&C Al.-bedded stock, decent easily-adjustable trigger, detachable mag. IMO an almost-perfect package: light enough to carry and handle well, with enough barrel for bullet speed and staying cool for (theoretically) more shots.
Unfortunately, not as perfect as expected, and too many irritating glitches for a $1200 rifle (Cabela's often has these Sakos for 100 to150 off, btw). Rounds in mine pop through the magazine feed lips on their own in hot weather, ejection is sometimes non-existent, and accuracy is just now coming around after many bullet/powder and OAL combinations (and pitching the cheap Weaver-style bases for Leupold dovetail Browning A-Bolt ones). Remember too, the A7 is considered a "low-end" Sako; also, new owner Beretta isn't exactly famous for good customer service.
Personally, I'm determined to make this rifle work, even if it means premature rebarrelling down the road (really wish they'd offer this in a fast-twist .22-250, but no chance of that). But, looking back, one could buy a 700 action, Medalist stock, and a barrel and build his or her own for not much more money; or buy a RedHawk Rifles Varmint and (maybe) take a couple inches off the barrel.

Last edited:
Interesting read DW, the only thing that got me there was the ejection problem. I'd be pretty concerned about that.

Also, if the website is correct, the Coyote model has the rough tech plastic stock with aluminum bedding block. I almost think I would like that better than a B&C, at least until it's time to rebuild the rifle and go McMillan.

One thing I haven't been interested in for many years now is building off of 700s. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't ever give a Remington a second look. For me it's kinda like hey there's another one..

I'd build off a Winchester CRF but then there's the issue of canting the rifle with each bolt lift, which is the case on all mine.
Our population here is such that I almost never call a single. I need a rifle with a short smooth bolt throw. I'd just buy a tikka and drop it in a manners but they're all long and that drives me nuts.

Actually just bought one of these in 243. put a cheap scope on it(one i had laying around). took it to range had to shim scope, put a talley 20moa base on it now and im fine. As far as grouping 90gr BT nosler has been the highest i found i can clover leaf at 100 yrds. Not reloading yet so thats not a option. When i start testing lower gr. ill repost on that.

I had the .243 A7 with the cheap black synthetic stock and 24 in barrel 1 in 10 twist . I gave it to my nephew because he really wanted a .243. It was extremely accurate, great trigger, but black synthetic stock was not great. I would buy another one in a second without a doubt.

Back