Vihtavuori N120

cclark

I have close to two lbs left and I would like to get more. It looks like its flat out nonexistent. I've even heard VV isn't importing it anymore. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

I ask about this with Hodgdon who imports it from Vhit and I was told that Vhitavouri is not exporting any of it, and they are not selling it. They are using it in their 22 ammo. I cannot prove or disprove this, I am just telling you what I was told by the people at Hodgdon.
Like you, it is excellent in small calibers such as the 22s.

What do you use VV N120 in? I have used it for smokeless muzzle
loading, but the last pound bought cost more than the two pound
containers used to cost. That last pound came from either Graff&Sons
or Midway a couple years ago, but haven't seen any since. Had to
find a different powder which turned out to be better, although not
as clean burning.

I use it in the 17 Ackley hornet and I want to use it in my 10.5 in 223 sbr. It looks good in quick load. I have and will use n133 if needed. It stinks we can't get it anymore! Chris

I was able to order some VV N120 from graf and sons last week. I only need it for hunting with my 450 Bushmaster. I wasn't greedy and only picked up 3 lbs of VV N120; then spent the rest of my share of Taxmas money on other hazmat components. At Grafs.com the Hazmat fee is only $20 plus the sweet $8 flat rate shipping. Somehow MidwayUSA has it in stock, but the hazmat is closer to $30. Midway also has a $10 powder handling fee to deal with, and you still have to pay shipping on top of that. I would go with grafs when you can. I haven't found better shipping rates. Natchez Shooting Supply appears to have stopped carrying VV powders all-together. The Cabela's closest to me has 1 lbs containers of all the VV, Except N120. Maybe Vihavouri really has stopped exporting it due to domestic demand.

my approach to buying primers or powder that have to be shipped is just to make sure it's what I know I'll use & buy large enough qty's to offset the shipping & hazmat. typically in primers that means at least 5000 and powder in 8 lb cans.

dunno about N120 as I've never used it. I've used a lot of N160 and N140. Out of N160 now and no one in this area carries the brand. There's a table at the gun show that does but so far every time I've gone she hasn't had any. Says she orders it regularly but she can only sell what they ship to her.

sucks if you just want to buy a lb or 2 to try it out, not worth the extra costs of shipping it.

CClark, N120 was the fastest powder in my 17 AH, but changed from day to day. ON the other hand, N110 shot the smallest groups, about 10.4g, tiny, tiny groups, better than 1680 or 4227 by far.

Back