Tanning a bobcat using deer hunters & trappers HTF

AZG

Howdy all.

I am tanning my first bobcat and and using

Deer hunters and trappers hide tanning formula

I am in the first salting stage and was wondering if anyone had done a bobcat using this stuff. My question is how long did you leave it in the salt bath for? It mentions 6-8 hours and 15 min for fox, how long should I go for bobcat?

I've tried contacting me the manufacturer but was too late and didn't make it by 5.

Any help is appreciated

90A1C10F-8507-4F4C-86E3-E7B4872EF416_zpsswjj1gi5.jpg

I've let hides sit in the salt bath from 6 hours to 24 hours and it seems to have the same effect. 6 hours is probably enough and 24 won't hurt. Split the difference on that cat and do 10. The salting of the hide is probably more important that the time of the salt bath. Just make sure that all of the hide is submerged.

STOP..

Do a coyote first.. They are close, and i would rather practice on a coyote than a nice cat.

Personally, i am not sure why you are doing it at all (I would send it to moyles) Once you try this the first time you will see why you should send it to moyles.

Your outburst when you are asking for help doesn't inspire anyone to help, and you need some patience. It's an internet forum, not 24/7 apple help desk.

When starting something new.... find out FIRST. I hope you haven't messed up a nice Bobcat skin.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZ
Your outburst when you are asking for help doesn't inspire anyone to help, and you need some patience. It's an internet forum, not 24/7 apple help desk.

He did wait for two days.
Still he was a bit sarcastic.

I hear not many people are fond of the stuff. I also notice there is not much talk of trapping here better to ask trapping fur related question on trapper man. Com

Originally Posted By: YochamI hear not many people are fond of the stuff. I also notice there is not much talk of trapping here better to ask trapping fur related question on trapper man. Com thank you for the info. I appreciate your help.

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetail
When starting something new.... find out FIRST. I hope you haven't messed up a nice Bobcat skin.

He did wait for two days.
Still he was a bit sarcastic.

There wasn't really any other info. I read the bottle numerous times. All it says is 15 min for fox and 6-8 hours for everything else but bobcats, well mine anyway seemed to have just as thin of skin as a fox and didn't want to screw it up so I asked. I learned the process from a trapper on YouTube and have asked him about it and got his opinion but figured there would be way more knowledgable people here to help and being I don't really ask much from anyone here I didn't think it would be a big deal. FYI it came out great. So no, I didn't screw it up.

Originally Posted By: rtaylorI've let hides sit in the salt bath from 6 hours to 24 hours and it seems to have the same effect. 6 hours is probably enough and 24 won't hurt. Split the difference on that cat and do 10. The salting of the hide is probably more important that the time of the salt bath. Just make sure that all of the hide is submerged. thanks for the help. I ended up doing 4 hours as that is when the hyde turned really nice and white throughout.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZSTOP..

Do a coyote first.. They are close, and i would rather practice on a coyote than a nice cat.

Personally, i am not sure why you are doing it at all (I would send it to moyles) Once you try this the first time you will see why you should send it to moyles.

I've done 3 coyotes already that came out good. Bobcats are special and I didn't want to ruin it.

Personally, I am doing it because it's my first bobcat and represents lots of hard work, patience, and dedication and taking it all the way by "myself" means more to me than sending it off regardless of how much better someone else can do. I don't want someone else to do it. I shot it. I will finish it. Don't expect you to understand that. Sure, the next one I get (if) I get anotherone, it will be sent off but for my first one, I will do it thanks.

My outburst...if that's what you call an outburst, was after two days of patiently waiting. Your lack of understanding doesn't make me want to be a patron to moyels or whatever. Or here for that matter, you give me crap for wanting to do it myself and not your way and because it's a bobcat I can't screw t up and need to do a coyote first but I can't feel any urgency about it because this isn't a 24/7 forum? Please let me know the hours of operation for this forum so I can ask my questions at the appropriate times. That was more of an outburst.

Oh, and PS, thanks for all your videos, I've learned a a lot from them.

Originally Posted By: crapshootMy guess is that no one has tried it. Contact the manufacturer. I would have to agree with you. I have contacted them by email and phone. Left three messages none of which have been returned. Hense my frustration. I am forced to rely on a bottle for help. Out of the three sources that I knew of, I couldn't get much help and at that point didn't have many options. Regardless it came out great so I appreciate everyone's replies.

Good day

Last edited:
I don't know if that stuff just isn't very popular or what. I have several bottles but because of the lack of information on it I've never used it. I don't know if it can go bad but if it can the stuff I have probably already did. There's not a whole bunch of people using it but it sounds like it works just fine.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerI don't know if that stuff just isn't very popular or what. I have several bottles but because of the lack of information on it I've never used it. I don't know if it can go bad but if it can the stuff I have probably already did. There's not a whole bunch of people using it but it sounds like it works just fine.

Here is who is got my info from. Only difference is he does 24 hour for the salt bath but states only 6-8 hours on the bottle and 5/6 for fox and only says 15 min on the bottle so to minimize the chance of slippage I stick to the bottles instructions but also take in what the guy has to say. So far no problems. Making a pillow out of one coyote. Another is on my wall and the third is going on a jacket. Just waiting for my fur sewing machine to arrive.

Last edited:
Very cool man I hope it turns out great. I'd like to tan a fox more than anything but I'll start out with a coyote so that I'll have an idea of what I'm doing when that time comes. It's kind of confusing how he suggest longer for fox than the bottle though. I guess if longer works for him it must be okay?

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerVery cool man I hope it turns out great. I'd like to tan a fox more than anything but I'll start out with a coyote so that I'll have an idea of what I'm doing when that time comes. It's kind of confusing how he suggest longer for fox than the bottle though. I guess if longer works for him it must be okay?

Thanks. Definitely do a coyote or two first. I practiced on 3 yotes that I had and it worked out. I didn't read the bottle first and did 24 hours for the yotes though. I highly recommend letting them drip dry after the salt bath and don't snap them or ring them as I had a small amount of slippage in the tail. Weather that had to do with time or what, I don't know but directions say to let hang dry and had no problem with the yotes I did proper. Fox came out good too. Don't let it dry out too much or it will tare easy. Just follow the directions and the tips in the videos and It'll come out fine. But yeah, he states everything he does is what works for him so I imagine it will vary depending on climate and animal. I'm going to continue to use up the other three bottles I have so if you have any questions before you do, feel free to hit me up. I would be more than happy to share anything new I've learned.

Will do,Thanks. I've always been told to let fur drip dry so I'll definitely keep that in mind. I have a really nice coyote I need to tan. I was just gonna have it professionally done but it'd save me money by doing it myself. I just have to skin and flesh it then I can start on it.

I'm a taxidermist and tell you it isn't worth your trouble! You will never get it as subple, clean, shiny or soft as a tannery will, there's just no way!!!!SEND TO A TANNERY and forget it.

Since this came back up.. How did it turn out?

Given what you have learned and the end result, did you feel it was worth doing other than to do and learn once?

How'd it turn out? Great.

Does it really matter. You have your own opinions already.

Are you just trying to prove a point?

Ok, Sure, you were 100% right and your way is the best. i ruined my bobcat. Please forum forgive me. I will never hunt again. I swear I only did it "to do and learn once." Unworth it for sure. I'm never learning anything ever again. Paying some to do everything for me from now on. What a waste of time.

Enjoy this outburst? Please comment for more
wink.gif

Have a nice day! ..|._

wow.. Most of us know how hard it is to get a Bobcat.. I make Big Al look like he needs to drink Red bull by the case after i get a cat.. (lets just say that i have to drive at least a few miles to do another stand after all the hooting and hollering)

The very last thing I ever want to see is a cat come out bad or destroyed. Coyotes.. Well there are plenty, I even gave a few fleshed/stretched away to someone i know that decided she wanted to try tanning.. I told her to watch the youtube video's and if it doesn't work i have more. She is trying the mayonnaise/egg method. (first attempt left all the looked in the bucket puking and they tossed the bucket, i took that idea off my list of possible choices)

But, I only ask because i was curious.. I hope it turned out well, and as soft as one from the tannery..
The ones that i tried told me that was a talent I didn't have, and had no business doing. After seeing that it's $25 i would prefer to send it in and use that time to do other things. Until i decided that i would like to make a coyote King Size comforter. That would be a lot of work, but maybe you figured out a way to make it Soft, and turn our good without paying $25 per and for that blanket i was figuring that it would be somewhere in the 20 coyote range to make. I also have a very large Bobcat that is just stunning that i thought about putting in the middle of the blanket of coyote fur, but again has to be tanned and wasn't sure.

Don't assume negative intent. I was just curious and hoped it turned out, and as you said the information wasn't really good with their stuff and maybe you cracked the code and didn't have a slippage issue and found an easy way to soften the hides as they dried without ruining the fur.

But, if not oh well. I have lots of Opinions, doesn't mean that I won't listen to yours or change my mind based on what you found and share.

Here is a coyote pillow I just finished up tanned using the bottle method. Used cow hide bought off of amazon as the back side. Fur sewing machine used is the Techsew402
0CD540A8-5473-44E8-A60A-84F12CC4755E_zps8vri6qjs.jpg

5BE7A1E2-5303-4F19-BF93-112039A3BE6A_zpsrrftjhw7.jpg

BCB96B2E-7E5E-4104-A6F2-224E534421D5_zpsptumps7l.jpg

Back