coyote hunters

old cat

I have a question for you. those of you that have killed 100's or 1000's (in wiley's case) of coyotes, do you feel because of your great skill & knowledge you have accomplished this thus you deserve the reward of the kill. or do you feel fortunate, or lucky to have been in the right place at the right time? do you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old catdo you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

I've killed well over a thousand. And no, I know for dang sure I don't have any special knowledge or skill. Just a garden variety, weekend, recreational caller.

I'm pretty good at finding dumb ones, maybe. But that's about it. And that might be just luck. Look long and hard enough and anyone is bound to stumble into a nice pocket now and then.

I have, a few times, hunted with guys that are far above average in knowledge and skill. Been around them enough to know it when I see it, and to know I'm not one.

Been around a whole lot more, that think they have special knowledge and skill, that are fooling themselves and maybe a few others, but I figure if they keep at it long enough, they'll realize they really don't know crap from apple butter any better than average. I say that, because only 15 or so years ago, I thought I had it figured out pretty good, thought I knew a lot about hunting coyotes. I've gradually come to realize that I don't.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: old catdo you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

I've killed well over a thousand. And no, I know for dang sure I don't have any special knowledge or skill. Just a garden variety, weekend, recreational caller.

I'm pretty good at finding dumb ones, maybe. But that's about it. And that might be just luck. Look long and hard enough and anyone is bound to stumble into a nice pocket now and then.

I have, a few times, hunted with guys that are far above average in knowledge and skill. Been around them enough to know it when I see it, and to know I'm not one.

Been around a whole lot more, that think they have special knowledge and skill, that are fooling themselves and maybe a few others, but I figure if they keep at it long enough, they'll realize they really don't know crap from apple butter any better than average. I say that, because only 15 or so years ago, I thought I had it figured out pretty good, thought I knew a lot about hunting coyotes. I've gradually come to realize that I don't.

- DAA

that answer is about as good as it gets.

I think it comes down to a rudimentary set of skills, some equipment, and then location location location...........or the skill (and it is a skill) to find good spots.
I'd liken it to farming in that you could give a man the nicest tractor and the best equipment and he probably still won't be able to grow much in desert Africa.

I'll take a free one at most any chance, whether it be drive by or a bump.
Tricking them in at their game is rewarding, but it sometimes results in a picture or a new hunter gets the shot.

[img:center]
x5pmok.jpg
[/img]

You have to have knowledge about any animal you're hunting to be successful to some degree. But even if you're setting up right and the wind is perfect and all of these things,if the coyote isn't there it doesn't matter. You most definitely have to have good ground to call and you have to be there at the right time. That's where the luck part comes in to play. But there are times when your only option is to call coyotes that you know have been called and pressured alot. To fool that coyote into thinking there is another coyote there or making it believe that you're not just another guy playing cottontail rabbit sounds takes knowledge. To fool that coyotes nose and knowing how and when to move,how to read that coyotes body language and to make a clean shot on that coyote takes both knowledge,skill and good tactics.

I'll also go on to say that the only way to gain even the slightest bit of knowledge or skill to achieve that is to do it. This website is perfect for learning the basics and learning alot about predator hunting. But the reality of it is that guys who have shot alot of coyotes can't be on the same stand that you are. Every scenario is different and even the guys that have knowledge still make mistakes when calling coyotes. It's all learned through experience and alot of times,failure to kill a coyote. It doesn't come easy by any means. You can lessen the learning curve but there's nothing like first hand experience.

Last edited:
No, and no on the knowledge. I would say I'm barely into the hundreds and technology has made it easy to do. Hi-tech electronic call and accurate rifle. I think my skills have came into play when lip squeeking one into bow range or using a mouth call to get one with my shotgun.

I have some numbers under my belt but it has more to do with being blessed with opportunities than skill. Sure I feel that I have learned alot and have a base of knowledge that helps but the good Lord has blessed me with being in the right place surrounded by the right folks to put me on the path to being a successful predator hunter.

Originally Posted By: reaper4I have some numbers under my belt but it has more to do with being blessed with opportunities than skill. Sure I feel that I have learned alot and have a base of knowledge that helps but the good Lord has blessed me with being in the right place surrounded by the right folks to put me on the path to being a successful predator hunter.

There are some awesome responses here - shows - we all know how - to have respect for coyotie --
reaper4 pretty much nailed it for me -

I am a firm believer it is mostly due to where you hunt. You can be the best coyote hunter in the United States. If you hunt only in Wisconsin, you would be lucky to call in 75-100 a year. Put that same hunter in Canada, you would be killing and calling hundreds for sure. I like to compare it to whitetail hunting. If you take an excellent whitetail hunter and let them hunt 2 different properties. One property holds mature deer year round and has excellent cover. The other property has minimal cover and big deer only occasionally pass through. The excellent hunter will kill twice as many mature bucks on the land that holds them year round. Location, Location, Location.

I thank you for your replies. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it takes a certain amount of skill & knowledge to be successful at this sport, & I know you all have it enough to be successful, & I commend you. your numbers prove it. I seen a great amount of humility in these posts, & quite possibly a lot of respect for one of the cagiest critters God put on this earth. regardless of the numbers put up not one of you puffed out his chest & claimed to know exactly where they were at, why they were there, & the route they would take to get to your call. you are the type of men who's advice carries a great deal of weight, of which I would respect & heed. keep up the good work, good luck, & God bless.

I have had years that I have killed over 100. It really isn't because I am any better than anyone else, just put the time in on those years and made hundreds of stands. Heck this year I only have killed 7 but I just don't get out like I used to only been out a few mornings this year. Plus I am older and slower than I used to be. When I was younger I used to probably average 30-40 stands in a day. Now if I do 15 its a long day. I used to average 7 a day and now probably average around 2-3. I think their are less coyotes now in my area than back in the 80's and they are a lot more educated. I do think I have learned a few things along the way and make less mistakes, but still seem to screw up more than I should. I guess for me the bottom line is the only way to learn and kill coyotes is to get out there and do it. Electronic calls have made it easier for the average hunter to have some success, but they still require proper set up and a more than a little luck. I have had the opportunity to go with some really gifted callers and hunters and still try to learn from anyone I get the opportunity to hunt with. Just get out there and have fun. I still love to hunt them and have great respect for their abilities. That is what keeps me going.

drscott

I Love just going out in the Woods,some times it all comes together and I get a Coyote or My Calling Partner gets one....basically its a learning process and a numbers game of making more Sets and as several mentioned being in a good location and knowing what sounds to use to draw in a Predator.

Lately the Coyotes have been teaching Us Humility! LOL
wink.gif

The more I hunt those things, the more I realize that I can't control what they do for the most part. There is no part of me that thinks I am "gifted" at it. I simply peck around the country until I find a concentration of them and then just let it happen.

I pretty firmly believe being good at calling coyotes relies on being stubborn; not better or worse, just refuse to lose, and learn from mistakes. It doesn't take being a rocket scientist or a pro hunter to call in alot of coyotes. Just don't be "so good" that you can't be wrong.

Back