Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2937846 - 02/26/16 09:32 AM coyote hunters
old cat Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: wv
I have a question for you. those of you that have killed 100's or 1000's (in wiley's case) of coyotes, do you feel because of your great skill & knowledge you have accomplished this thus you deserve the reward of the kill. or do you feel fortunate, or lucky to have been in the right place at the right time? do you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

Edited by old cat (02/26/16 09:35 AM)

#2937855 - 02/26/16 09:49 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
Bernie P. Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: NY Adirondack Park
All their senses are better than our's.We have the edge in the brain department.It all comes down to that.

#2937864 - 02/26/16 10:15 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
DAA Offline
PM senior

Loc: Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: old cat
do you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

I've killed well over a thousand. And no, I know for dang sure I don't have any special knowledge or skill. Just a garden variety, weekend, recreational caller.

I'm pretty good at finding dumb ones, maybe. But that's about it. And that might be just luck. Look long and hard enough and anyone is bound to stumble into a nice pocket now and then.

I have, a few times, hunted with guys that are far above average in knowledge and skill. Been around them enough to know it when I see it, and to know I'm not one.

Been around a whole lot more, that think they have special knowledge and skill, that are fooling themselves and maybe a few others, but I figure if they keep at it long enough, they'll realize they really don't know crap from apple butter any better than average. I say that, because only 15 or so years ago, I thought I had it figured out pretty good, thought I knew a lot about hunting coyotes. I've gradually come to realize that I don't.

- DAA

#2937867 - 02/26/16 10:23 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: DAA]
SlickerThanSnot Online
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: DAA
Originally Posted By: old cat
do you even feel you have a superior knowledge or skill where coyotes are concerned?

I've killed well over a thousand. And no, I know for dang sure I don't have any special knowledge or skill. Just a garden variety, weekend, recreational caller.

I'm pretty good at finding dumb ones, maybe. But that's about it. And that might be just luck. Look long and hard enough and anyone is bound to stumble into a nice pocket now and then.

I have, a few times, hunted with guys that are far above average in knowledge and skill. Been around them enough to know it when I see it, and to know I'm not one.

Been around a whole lot more, that think they have special knowledge and skill, that are fooling themselves and maybe a few others, but I figure if they keep at it long enough, they'll realize they really don't know crap from apple butter any better than average. I say that, because only 15 or so years ago, I thought I had it figured out pretty good, thought I knew a lot about hunting coyotes. I've gradually come to realize that I don't.

- DAA

that answer is about as good as it gets.

#2937873 - 02/26/16 10:47 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
LONEHOWL Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Porterville CA. USA
^^^ YES

#2937890 - 02/26/16 11:29 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
jf1073 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: NW OK
I think it comes down to a rudimentary set of skills, some equipment, and then location location location...........or the skill (and it is a skill) to find good spots.
I'd liken it to farming in that you could give a man the nicest tractor and the best equipment and he probably still won't be able to grow much in desert Africa.

#2937891 - 02/26/16 11:30 AM Re: coyote hunters [Re: LONEHOWL]
tripod3 Online
PM senior

Loc: WA
I'll take a free one at most any chance, whether it be drive by or a bump.
Tricking them in at their game is rewarding, but it sometimes results in a picture or a new hunter gets the shot.

[img:center][/img]

#2937904 - 02/26/16 12:25 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
OKRattler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ok Panhandle
You have to have knowledge about any animal you're hunting to be successful to some degree. But even if you're setting up right and the wind is perfect and all of these things,if the coyote isn't there it doesn't matter. You most definitely have to have good ground to call and you have to be there at the right time. That's where the luck part comes in to play. But there are times when your only option is to call coyotes that you know have been called and pressured alot. To fool that coyote into thinking there is another coyote there or making it believe that you're not just another guy playing cottontail rabbit sounds takes knowledge. To fool that coyotes nose and knowing how and when to move,how to read that coyotes body language and to make a clean shot on that coyote takes both knowledge,skill and good tactics.

I'll also go on to say that the only way to gain even the slightest bit of knowledge or skill to achieve that is to do it. This website is perfect for learning the basics and learning alot about predator hunting. But the reality of it is that guys who have shot alot of coyotes can't be on the same stand that you are. Every scenario is different and even the guys that have knowledge still make mistakes when calling coyotes. It's all learned through experience and alot of times,failure to kill a coyote. It doesn't come easy by any means. You can lessen the learning curve but there's nothing like first hand experience.

Edited by OKRattler (02/26/16 12:27 PM)

#2937906 - 02/26/16 12:28 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
Errick Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kansas
No, and no on the knowledge. I would say I'm barely into the hundreds and technology has made it easy to do. Hi-tech electronic call and accurate rifle. I think my skills have came into play when lip squeeking one into bow range or using a mouth call to get one with my shotgun.

#2937908 - 02/26/16 12:33 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
reaper4 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: maryland eastern shore
I have some numbers under my belt but it has more to do with being blessed with opportunities than skill. Sure I feel that I have learned alot and have a base of knowledge that helps but the good Lord has blessed me with being in the right place surrounded by the right folks to put me on the path to being a successful predator hunter.

#2937915 - 02/26/16 12:56 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: reaper4]
Wile E Coyotie Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Dirtspot Saskatchewan
Originally Posted By: reaper4
I have some numbers under my belt but it has more to do with being blessed with opportunities than skill. Sure I feel that I have learned alot and have a base of knowledge that helps but the good Lord has blessed me with being in the right place surrounded by the right folks to put me on the path to being a successful predator hunter.

There are some awesome responses here - shows - we all know how - to have respect for coyotie --
reaper4 pretty much nailed it for me -

#2937920 - 02/26/16 01:09 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
Dan25 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Northwoods
I am a firm believer it is mostly due to where you hunt. You can be the best coyote hunter in the United States. If you hunt only in Wisconsin, you would be lucky to call in 75-100 a year. Put that same hunter in Canada, you would be killing and calling hundreds for sure. I like to compare it to whitetail hunting. If you take an excellent whitetail hunter and let them hunt 2 different properties. One property holds mature deer year round and has excellent cover. The other property has minimal cover and big deer only occasionally pass through. The excellent hunter will kill twice as many mature bucks on the land that holds them year round. Location, Location, Location.

#2937922 - 02/26/16 01:13 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
GhostsoftheGrass Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NE
Every coyote I get 'accidentally' I just turn my head to my hunting partner and smile saying "I meant to do that" lol.. lol

#2937925 - 02/26/16 01:20 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: old cat]
MasterBlaster Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: SE. Iowa
I'd rather be lucky than good
MB

#2937926 - 02/26/16 01:23 PM Re: coyote hunters [Re: MasterBlaster]
OKRattler Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Ok Panhandle
Originally Posted By: MasterBlaster
I'd rather be lucky than good
MB
I'd rather just be good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  220_Swift, Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.