Alpha Dogg Vs. Foxpro

AZ RON

I've heard a few people now say that they would take a Foxpro over a Primos any day. Specifically the Alpha Dogg. I have the Alpha Dogg and other than the fact that it drinks batteries like kool-aid are there any other specific gripes that I should know of?

It's plenty loud enough that's for sure. Loudest e-caller i know of for the price. I got my through a lightning deal $150 new on amazon. Can't complain about that at all. It's only good for one day with alkaline batteries though. Lasts a little longer with Lithium.

Nice! Oh yeah they'll reach out there far enough. My buddy hasn't really ever said anything about his going through alot of batteries but I've heard that's common with that call. I've seen his call in more than a few coyotes that's for sure.

Last edited:
I'm going out tomorrow morning with a few friends. I use the Alpha Dogg along with a Reese Outdoors hand call, Dr. Death. Pretty good calls. I'll come back with pictures or excuses one or the other.

Bought one, sounded distorted , range wasn't great , and seemed cheap in general. I returned it, bought a Foxpro hellfire.
Later graduated to the fusion. Foxpro , all the way.

Originally Posted By: Inxslung12Bought one, sounded distorted , range wasn't great , and seemed cheap in general. I returned it, bought a Foxpro hellfire.
Later graduated to the fusion. Foxpro , all the way.

I had the same problem so i called primos and they said that you cant use alkaline batteries in it because it draws so many watts. I put lithium batteries in it and problem solved

Comparing mass produced, Chinese made product to a us made product, good QA/QC, and the best customer service in the industry is like comparing a mass produced kel tec to a custom GAP rifle. Both may get the job done but you can't hardley compare the two.

Best call you can buy for the $$. Color remote that is easy to read, sound categories, and a built in stand. Like ANY ecaller good batteries are a must, with Lithium being the best, Loud ecallers require good batteries, no matter who made the caller.

Originally Posted By: AZ RONIt's plenty loud enough that's for sure. Loudest e-caller i know of for the price. I got my through a lightning deal $150 new on amazon. Can't complain about that at all. It's only good for one day with alkaline batteries though. Lasts a little longer with Lithium.

Get the rechargeable Eneloop Pro, the black ones. They cost but they work best in my Alpha Dogg and they make it though the cold Feb nights hunting here. I have several sets of those batteries and keep them charged up so all I have to do is put in a fresh pack and recharge the others while I'm out there hunting.

I have both the FoxPro Firestorm and the Primos Alpha Dogg. I don't think its fair to say the Primos calls are junk. Mine has treated me well over the last couple years. Here are a few of my observations from owning both.

FoxPro: Has real animal sounds, good clarity, smaller and light enough to go in a rear vest pocket. Only comes with 50 sounds, some of which I will never use (mountain lion, bear cub distress, elk calls). Also, FoxPro is made in the USA and has a great reputation for quality construction and wonderful customer service.

Primos Alpha Dog: Much louder than the FoxPro, also has good clarity, and has a bigger selection of sounds that are categorized. The remote has pre-programmed "expert hunts" and the sounds are timed. You can also program your own custom hunts, so that you can just hit "play" and let the caller run. I believe most of the sounds aren't real animal sounds, but rather made by people (mostly Randy Anderson) on mouth calls. The unit is too big for a vest pouch, and is heavier than the FoxPro. The caller seems to be a well built unit.

I think it's fair to compare the two. I can't say that the FoxPro is head and shoulders better than the Primos. I wouldn't run out and spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars on the FoxPro if you already have the Alpha Dogg. The only reason I did is because I had money to burn at Bass Pro and the Firestorm was on sale.

You're absolutely right. I like it when these guys compare a $600 call to one for under $200. The only Foxpro calls worth owning are those with the TX1000 remote and they aren't cheap. Foxpro has NOTHING that comes close to the Alpha Dog for under (sometimes WELL under) $200. The Alpha Dog is a great call for the money, and FYI I own a Fusion too, but I can afford it.

Back