February 24th bobcat.

OKRattler

With the end of fur bearer season coming up in Oklahoma I've been focused on cats lately. Today I went out and made 4 long stands in hopes of calling one up. I called it quits on my second to last stand at the 20 minute mark so I could get another quick stand in.

I walked about 300 yards from my last stand and sat down. I didn't bother putting the FoxPro out on this last one because I was too lazy. I got my Crit'R Call Peewee out and started out with a few squeaks. I watched for 30 seconds or so and started in with my best impersonation of a dying rabbit. I looked to my right about 5 minutes into the stand and saw nothing. So I scanned back to my left and played a few more sequences of dying rabbit. As I scanned back to my right I saw it,a bobcat had crept in,in less than 30 seconds without so much as crushing a leaf to let me know he was there. The cat had his eyes locked on me and wouldn't you know it, I had my rifle pointed straight out in front of me. I could tell he was studying me,not quite sure what he was looking at. So I slowly picked up my rifle and shooting stick,up and over my leg and moved it to the right. No more had I rested my rifle and the cat went from a crouched position to what looked to be the "I'm about to run away" position. I don't know if he was going to run or if he was just thinking about it. But I already had him in the crosshairs so it didn't matter. By the time he thought about it I already had the safety off and was in full blown kill mode. About the time he lifted his head I squeezed the trigger and hit him in the throat. He was 15 big steps from where I was sitting.

If I can figure out the picture situation I'll post one. If not it's a pretty/pretty dead bobcat laying in leaves with my rifle across it.

Last edited:
No excuses now, let's see the pictures.
wink.gif
grin.gif

http://s889.photobucket.com/user/mustangdoug/media/7mm%20mag/PMphototutorial.mp4.html

Regards.
hm

Last edited:
Quote:If I can figure out the picture situation I'll post one.

Make it happen, Cap'n
wink.gif

And good job on the cat.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OKRattlerCan you posts pictures from your phone on here?

Not sure, but the way I do it is to email picture as an attachment from phone to my computer, save attachment to "my pictures", then upload to photobucket.

Probably not best way, but it works. Looking forward to seeing your kitty.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

The cat came pretty quick. Last one I called in took over 30 min to come in. Was getting disgusted and looked and there he was. I would like to get a big one to mount. Show some pics. Love the kitty's

Originally Posted By: jf1073pretty impressive being able to swing onto the target at that range without him tearing outta there. great job. Thanks man. I've had them pretty close before like that. As long as you move slow they'll let you get away with some movement. But I could tell he wasn't going to tolerate much more. I was ready to swing over in a hurry and kill him if need be,before my rifle was positioned. My rifle was half way off safe before I swung over. Flipping it all the way forward actually made him hesitate and I was sending a BTHP his way. I was slow but quick about it if that makes any sense. I always turn my scope way down for this reason when calling for cats. You might get them really close and find yourself needing to get on target in a quick hurry.

Working on the picture right now.

Last edited:
Way to go okrattler!...to bad there's not an attachment icon (paperclip) to post pics...real easy to post from your phone..where most pics are taken. I still have issues. Try "tinypic", it's easier than photo bucket.

Last edited:
Nicely done OK, can't wait to see the pic!

You can post photos from your phone using Photobucket. You just need the PB app. That's how I do it.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvWay to go okrattler!...to bad there's not an attachment icon (paperclip) to post pics...real easy to post from your phone..where most pics are taken. I still have issues. Try "tinypic", it's easier than photo bucket. That's kinda what what I'm thinking. I know how to do that. I'm about as computer illiterate as it gets. I'm on the verge of demolishing this computer.

Originally Posted By: weekenderSometimes cats freeze and watch you move on them, sometimes they blow out. The ones that freeze, usually get froze. Yep.lol He froze yesterday and he's really froze today.

Thank you! Good grief, It took me a LONG time to just post a link. I'm not up with the times,especially for my age. When it comes to technology....I'm not the right guy for the job.

Back