20 cal practical reloading issues

nr5birdshot

I purchased a barrel from rich here on the forum for my ar. Every time I put a shell casing into the chamber I have to use a hammer to get the bolt open.

The dimension from the neck/shoulder to the base runs about 1.585" where it's supposed to be 1.557". If this is the problem how can I get this dimension where it should be.

Any other ideas as to what is going on world be appreciated. thanks

We will need some more information.

Are the stuck cases fired rounds? If so what is the load used?

What dies are using? Neck bushing size? Brand of brass? Etc. Give all the information you can.

Last edited:
Are you using military surplus brass? I had a similar issue when I first received my 20 practical barrel from Ritch. After a few texts and a phone call, my issue was resolved. The brass that I was using needed to be ran through a FL Small Base 223 die prior to the first loading. After I ran my brass through the small base die the first time, I havent had any issues. Each loading after the first I just use the redding bushing die to get it down to 20 cal. Hope this helps.

the brass is lake city mil surplus ran the brass through a redding full length die followed by redding s type neck bushing die .233 dia

followed by a .224 die bushing. the brass measures .374 by the rim .353 at the shoulder, 1.756 long I haven't worked up a load yet, just tried the brass in the chamber. Was hoping to avoid the further purchase of a small base die, as Ive never had trouble with my .223 upper.

Sounds like you may be having the same issue that I had. I ran mine through a FL RCBS 223 die first and then used the Redding Type S die like you mentioned. I really had to pull to get the piece of sized brass to eject when I released the BCG to chamber it. I never had to use a small base die in any of my 223 rifles but for this barrel I did have to purchase one. The standard FL sizing die just didnt make the brass small enough to chamber in the BHW barrel. My barrel shoots great and I have never had any complaints about it. Maybe others will respond with their experiences but thats just what I had to do.

The 20 Practical chambers are on the minimum. As was mentioned above the SB die is usually used on the first loading. I run mine through a Dillon trim die that is SB and after that my 223 Redding Type S FL die. I have also used the RCBS SB for initial sizing.

Greg

I just got off the phone with Rich, he's telling me the same thing you guys are saying about the small base die. Thanks to all for your help.

looks like I'm going shopping this weekend for sb die,will post after I get it and run some brass through it.

I had to do the same thing. Really threw me for a loop before I figured it out. I happened to have a rcbs AR series resizing die which is sb and then everything came together.

Had the same issue trying to size the once fired 556 brass. Another option to get you going is to use new brass. New LC worked great in my 20P.

Back