Best Fox/Bobcat Caliber?

TheBig1

Ok, I haven't even shot my new rifle and I'm already looking forward to purchasing my next rifle. While on the search for my coyote rifle I asked if there was one coyote, fox, and bobcat caliber to fit them all. I know, laugh, but I'm new and didn't know that was the Holy Grail. My point is, I may also be wrong about thinking that one caliber can do for both fox and bobcat.

So, the question is, what is the best caliber for one rifle to hunt both fox and bobcat with minimal fur damage and the greatest amount of stopping power?

Chad

Not a 223 if you want the fur in my experience. I have only shot reds no cats but if you hit the shoulder or bone it about blows them in half. Are you going to reload or shoot factory ammo. That will be a big factor when it comes to choosing a round that fits the bill. For factory rounds I would say ether a 204 or 17 rem for center fire. A 17hmr or 17 wsm would be good for thin skinned fox under 100 yards with head and neck shots. You could get away with chest shots at 50 and under.

For you fellas that are recommending the 17WSM and perhaps the Hornet also. I was reading something about how the 17WSM just came out in the past few years in response to the rimfire ammo shortage and could perhaps fall away once that production picks up again. Is this something that anyone is worried about? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I also read that Winchester is the only ammo manufacturer at the time for such a round so you're limited to what's out there like it or not.

I have a WSM just for the reason of minimal fur damage with maximum tissue damage to interior of whatever I shoot. I have taken around 100 coons ,4-5 woodchucks , half a dozen feral cats , and a 50 lb. beaver with mine and it hits like a heavy hammer. It is going the same speed as a HMR, at its muzzle, at about 175+ yards. So if you took an HMR and put it point blank on a predator ,( head ,neck , chest , any vital ,) pulled the trigger ,any question that you wouldn't kill it? So that is the WSM s killing power at those yards. For a decent price for the ammo , readily available ,no reloading or looking for brass while hunting.
thumbup.gif
Jim

17 hornet for a specific fox cat gun unless the shots are normally inside 100 then just a good old 22 wmr will do great. I like to have enough gun for coyotes just in case I get one to come in around here so I download my 223 to hornet speeds and its great for all of the above

17 WSM looks good, although I've never used it. Otherwise maybe a 22 Mag. 22 Hornet might work ok.

223 is generally destructive on foxes. Sometimes it has no damage, other times it blows them up. 17Rem is similar in my personal experience. Both 223 and 17Rem are too much gun for fragile foxes.

If you really want fox fur, use a shotgun. Around here foxes usually come in pretty close and 3" 2 shot hits them hard. Use a 223 rifle for bobcats and coyotes.

Originally Posted By: TheBig1For you fellas that are recommending the 17WSM and perhaps the Hornet also. I was reading something about how the 17WSM just came out in the past few years in response to the rimfire ammo shortage and could perhaps fall away once that production picks up again. Is this something that anyone is worried about? Also, if I'm not mistaken, I also read that Winchester is the only ammo manufacturer at the time for such a round so you're limited to what's out there like it or not. I really don't see that happening in my opinion. The .17WSM is the most common rimfire available,at least around here. Which has probably increased its popularity. Which I guess is good for that caliber because it came out about the same time Ruger and Savage started building rifles in the .17 Hornet. It could have been beat out by the .17 Hornet as far as sales go. I was reading alot of bad reviews on the B-Mag to begin with but as far as I can tell the newer models are alot better. Having said that, when I do buy a .17WSM it will be a Franklin Armory F17. As for that caliber going away,I don't think it will.

The 17wsm ammo is readily available. Winchester ammo was first, now hornady, and American eagle are producing it. At $16/50box its hard to beat and is a killing machine. I have the b-mag with a boyds stock and have no complaints with the rifle. It is easy on the ears too.

I would think any of the 17's would be tough to beat whether RF or CF.

My personal vote goes to the 17 Hornet.

I killed 3 or 4 coyotes back when I had a 17 Mach II. 1 was shot between the eyes and others were lung/chest shot, none ever took a step and ranges were 30-75 yards.

Last edited:
If you're shooting off the shelf, and trying to cover fox and coyotes, I would suggest the .22 hornet. Fox are pretty small compared to coyotes and anything heavier than a hornet can tear them up pretty good. Hornady 35 grain vmax is a good fox load and you can shoot the 45/46 grain factory loads for coyotes out to 125 yards or so.

If you're going to keep it to fox and cats the 22 mag is a good choice. I know people use it on coyotes but the hornet has a lot more punch.

I have been interested in the .17 hornet. I bet it would be real sweet fox caliber, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

Off the shelf I would recommend the 17 Remington because of ammo availability and good range capability on fox and bobcats.

Back