7mm-08 Model Seven accuracy.

me

A few weeks back, someone had asked what accuracy to expect from a Remington Model Seven in 7mm-08. I answered that I would get mine to the range and let them know as soon as I got in a new stock..... I ended up cancelling the stock order. Mine is stainless/synthetic. I bedded the action, free floated the barrel and made simple adjustments to the factory trigger.

Now..... Before I post the groups..... A slight explanation..... I shoot at the Busch Wildlife Area range run by the Missouri Department of Conservation. It's about 45 minutes west of downtown St. Louis. The range is a wonderful facility with shooting distances from 7 to 100 yards. Each of the 20 booths is covered and seperated from the next by a wall - and there lies my problem.....

MDC%20Busch%20booths.jpg

Every time someone in an ajoining booth lights up - I jump outta my skin from the concusion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif On a busy Saturday, it's almost impossible for me to keep steady enough to get off a good group.....

So here are 3 of the 5 groups I shot today. The first and the last groups were all over the place. On these three, 2 shots out of every 3-shot group went where they were supposed to. I knew the moment I shot when I sent one flying astray. On the bottom target, the man in the booth to my right light up a .270 just a fraction of a moment before I went to pull the trigger; that shot went completely off the paper! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So-o-o... allowing for my skittery skin... the Remingon Model Seven in 7mm-08 is capable of 1/2" groups (or better if a capable shooter {not me} is at the trigger) using Winchester Super-X 140 grain Power-Point factory loads.....

M7%207mm08%20groups%20080505.jpg

I've been deer hunting with Model 7's for about 10 years now and have found that they provide very good accuracy if you let the barrel cool for 10-15 minutes betweens shots.

I always used the 308 variety though so the barrel walls were quite thin.

In a smaller caliber (especially 223) I suspect the need to cool the thin barrel between shots is not as pronounced.

That thin barrel drives a lot of people crazy but for hunting deer or other medium to large game first shot accuracy is quite adequate and follow up shots are typically made quickly and/or at running game so small groups are a moot point.

One thing you want to completely avoid is removing the "pad" at the front of the stock that put's slight upward pressure on the barrel.

Then those thin barrels behave very erratically. Remington knew what they were doing when they put that pad in.

$bob$

Ooooops! Sorry, Bob..... I already removed the pad.....

At this range, they call a cease-fire every 15 minutes. I generally shoot one 3-shot group in each shooting period, check my target during the cease-fire and shoot another group during the next open session. These groups were all shot in that manor.

Last week, there were a couple of times when I shot 9 or 12 shots in a 15 minute period; I saw no evidence of change from the barrel heating. With my Model Seven in .223, I have often taken many shots in a short period and never gotten any evidence of change of POI.

In free-floating, I remove that pad and any contact areas the stock may have with the barrel..... I also glass bed the 2" closest to the action. I've done this on many rifles - including 3 Model Seven's - and have seen the same accuracy results.

I know it's difficult to see black on black..... But here you can see the way I bedded my barrel in the synthetic stock with Acra-Glas Gel and how I used JB Weld to secure the recoil lug into a position against the back of it's slot.

M7%207mm08%20final%20bed.jpg

I love those Model Seven's!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

I have a Model Seven in 7-08 on lay-away at my local Gander Mountain. $350 plus sales tax for a NIB Model Seven. I couldn't pass it by. I'm planning on a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8X32 and standard mount and rings. I may even look at Warne rings for this one.

My last Model Seven in 223 was an amazing shooter.

5shot100yard0ha.jpg

I never did understand how that rifle shot so good with that danged pad... The 223 was an older non j-lock model with the factory walnut stock. The new one has a POS looking "Walnut finish hardwood" stock that will have to go soon. I'm thinking about one of Boyd's JRS Classic stocks. How much finishing should I expect to put into one of their stocks? I'm also considering one of Richard's Micro Fit stocks as well.

ME,

Seems like you have the MoJo! You're the first person I've talked to that removed the pad and had good results.

I was told not to mess with it by my gunsmith and the 4 Model Seven's I've had all were incredibly accurate and never gave me a moment's trouble.

In weather colder than about 50 degrees the barrel requires very little cooling time.

$bob$

hoosierdaddy,

You can find used Model Seven synthetic stocks for sale on the classified sections of hunting forums including here on Predator Masters.

Just be very very sure the pad hasn't been removed unless you have the skills and patience to bed the action and barrel. I've heard some real nightmares from people that tried and failed.

I've never seen a Model Seven stock I liked other than the factory synthetic. Seems like all the others are too heavy or big.

To me the whole point of a Model 7 is the slim lines, short OAL length, and very low weight.

$bob$

Quote:
To me the whole point of a Model 7 is the slim lines, short OAL length, and very low weight.

$bob$

You know..... Because I really like the look and feel of wood, I had originally been looking for a used, reasonably priced, stainless Model Seven with the laminated stock but every one I found the owners just wanted too much..... So I grabbed up this synthetic stocked rifle..... I had ordered an aftermarket stock for it, but decided to try the rifle with the original..... Now that I have, I find that I really do like the even lighter weight and slimness of the synthetic..... I just may have to get one for my .223! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob..... They're really easy to bed! Remington has put a quality synthetic stock on the Model Seven! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'll post pictures of what I did.....

me!

Back