Savage aftermarket stock help...

zerowolf

Thinking of changing the stock on my Savage 11 Trophy Hunter Xp. Boyds has a warning that other parts are needed. Hogue doesn't...

Either way I can't figure out exactly which parts I need. Every picture of trigger guards are terrible so I can't confirm if they are even the one I would need. I am trying to get an idea of the total cost for this is but its starting to hurt my head.

B&C is recommended a lot but I can't find anywhere that they have a short action standard barrel stock. Right now it seems my only options are Boyd and Hogue.

Last edited:
I bought a Boyds for a newer (bottom bolt release) Savage less than 2 years ago. I don't recall a warning about additional parts needed. Theoretically all the factory parts would have moved over. But the cheap plastic bottom "metal" was broken the first time I removed it from the stock, so I had to order a real metal replacement from Savage (I would have done it anyway).

The biggest thing is you have to order for the correct bolt spacing and bolt release location.

Under the Savage Stocks on Boyds...

"MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier.

Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have beed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design.

These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release."

Originally Posted By: zerowolf Under the Savage Stocks on Boyds...

"MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier.

Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have beed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design.

These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release."

so the axis plastic mags wont work?

Originally Posted By: zerowolf Under the Savage Stocks on Boyds...

What is the configuration of the stock you currently have? The issue here is that some have the bottom metal integrated into the stock. The stock you are buying assumes you have a DBM setup. If you do not, you will need to buy the appropriate parts.

My personal recommendation is that if you do not have true metal bottom metal, upgrade. The plastic stuff is very weak (mine was broken from the factory at a stress point). Unfortunately there is no easy way to get the appropriate part numbers. I spent about 40 minutes entering random serial numbers into their Parts Finder until I found what I was looking for.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014Originally Posted By: zerowolf Under the Savage Stocks on Boyds...

My understanding is that parts…stock, bottom metal…between a Model 11 and an Axis are not interchangeable.

Originally Posted By: springerOriginally Posted By: ohihunter2014

My understanding is that parts…stock, bottom metal…between a Model 11 and an Axis are not interchangeable.

Pretty sure the magazine is the same but the rest of it isn't. The cheaper but functional Axis Magazine was another way to save money and/or increase profit.

Back