Gas Checks

TomWatkins81

Hey Forum.
I bought a complete reloading set from a friend that inherited and never used it, so I have been watching youtube videos and have a question. If I am reloading 40 S&W and using polymer coated lead bullets, do I need to use gas checks? I had never even heard of them until I saw them on Midway.

First and foremost, there is no 'complete' reloading kit. You will always need/want another gadget.

Now gas checks...

No expert here but gas checks are placed on cast lead bullets for high powered pistols. They keep the lead bullet together I think. Your talking about store bought bullets here I believe. They probably don't need gas checks. Check for instructions on box or call manufacturer.

If they are coated bullets and shot at the modest 40 S&W velocities, then, no. Gas checks aren't needed on lower velocity rounds.

For more info on gas checks check link below.

Quote: The most common use of gas checks is in the .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, and 10mm Auto which were developed from non-magnum cartridges by shooters such as Elmer Keith. By loading the large capacity cases designed for black powder with large charges of smokeless powder, velocities well in excess of 1000 ft/s (300 m/s) were produced from handguns for the first time. At these velocities and pressures traditional soft lead bullets would quickly foul the barrel with lead deposits, so gas checked bullets were used in these experimental cartridges.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_check

Regards,
hm

You must have a bullet (usually cast) that was designed for gas checks to be able to use gas checks on them. Years ago when I got free wheel weights by the 5 gallon bucket full I cast jillions of bullets for my .44 Special and .44 Magnum guns. The molds that I used for gas checked bullets produced a stepped base for the gas check to be placed on where it was crimped when sizing and lubing the bullet in the sizer/lubricator.

So in other words you can shoot bullets designed for the use of gas checks without a gas check but not vice-versa.

I did notice the bullet needed to be cast to receive the gas check. So it look like I do not need it for 40 S&W for normal powder loads. Thanks guys.

No less an authority than Wayne Gibbs of Hensley and Gibbs told me years ago that if a projectile is of the right alloy, is sized right, and has the right lube on it, a gas check is not needed at velocities below 2000 fps. And he should know... he cut the best bullet moulds that were ever produced.

Back