Suppressed 300 BO Sub-Sonic SBR For Predator Hunting..

AllPredatorCalls

Not a huge amount of info on guys using short barrel rifles (SBR), suppressed, with sub-sonic loads for predator hunting.

Thought I would share yesterdays hunt results with those who may be interested.

The main problem when using a sub-sonic 300 black out is bullet performance (lack of expansion)with factory 220 grain bullets. Most are Open Tip Match (OTM) which will zip through the animal with zero expansion.

Because the SBR rifle appeals to some of my hunting situations, for example when I'm hunting deep tight ravines with heavy cover, where my shots and visibility will be under 50 yards and non magnified optics and a short lightweight rifle is my choice.

I decided to try the Noveske/Nosler 300 AAC BLACKOUT 220grn Open Tip Round Nose bullet after reading a magazine article about there ability to penetrate 18 inches in ballistic gelatin with controlled and reliable expansion at subsonic speed.

Here's a bobcat I shot yesterday at exactly 40 yards broadside using the Noveske/Nosler 300 AAC BLACKOUT 220grn Open Tip Round Nose bullet.

bcat001x750.jpg

Entry side
bcat004x750.jpg

Exit wound
bcat003x750.jpg

Exit wound behind shoulder
bcat002x750.jpg

Inside view of exit wound - great bullet expansion

This round definitely has potential as a predator hunting round for guys wanting to go sub-sonic suppressed on there .300 black rifle.

AP Jones
APC

Nice Shooting, thanks for the great info. I have used 300 BO for dear hunting out of a 16" Bolt. Had great luck with 240's SMk's and hitting shoulders. Dear dropped like a ton of bricks.
Will have to look at the Noveske.
RLTW
Steve

Coleridge,
He was hit in the sweet spot on opposite side. He was an absolute bang flop..didn't even twitch.. See the first picture, not a bit a blood except from nose / mouth until I hiked him back to my vehicle, then a little from exit wound.

BTW. It's 8.3 inch barrel with a Omega suppressor

Edit add picture / ammo info:
noveske-300-aac-blackout-220-grain-subsonic-ammo-20ct-3e3.jpg

AP

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I've got a 1-7" twist barrel in the safe I'm eventually going to do a 300BO (in bolt gun) just for subs. The "low velocity" expandables are pretty short supply right now (and very expensive if available). The Nosler bullet looks interesting but doesn't appear to be available as components yet???

I've got a ruger american ranch rifle in .300BLK and my best sub loads are only shooting 2" groups at 50yrds, with supersonic loads it shoots one groups at 50yrds.
Is anybody got a load that can stay at 2" or better at 100yrds ?

I was shooting:

300 BLK Remington Brass (converted from 223)
10.6-10.7gr AA1680 Powder
Rem 7.5 primer
208gr Amax
2.240" COL

This is what I was using in my AR15, which proved to be very accurate and reliable for me.

Originally Posted By: gary paughI've got a ruger american ranch rifle in .300BLK and my best sub loads are only shooting 2" groups at 50yrds, with supersonic loads it shoots one groups at 50yrds.
Is anybody got a load that can stay at 2" or better at 100yrds ?

Check out OUTLAWSTATEBULLETS. I'm shooting the 190gr FBHP. Shoots really well out of my 9" 300BO. About 1.5" groups at 100yd at 980fps. Shot 4 hogs and 1 deer this winter and all performed very well. I have shot this bullet into water jugs at about 750fps and they expand nicely. And price is about $80 per hundred for projectile only.

I used a Sub 220gr OTM from Remi. about 3 years ago.
Sure he died but man did he keep moving out.
A lot of bullet technology out now for Subs. Once I start running out of my near 1000 rounds I will stat playing with Outlaw State and Leigh High Defense Sub bullets.

Originally Posted By: Zen ArcheryI used a Sub 220gr OTM from Remi. about 3 years ago.
Sure he died but man did he keep moving out.
A lot of bullet technology out now for Subs. Once I start running out of my near 1000 rounds I will stat playing with Outlaw State and Leigh High Defense Sub bullets.

I'm also looking at Lehigh Defense and Maker Bullets for reloading of subs.

The Noveske factory ammo seems to be a good option for those who want to buy a box or 2 and hunt instead of reload, although I'm not sure why they felt the need to waste resources on glow in the dark tips (it's a gimmick that doesn't work anyway).

AP

I also had issues with subs expanding and being accurate in my Ruger American Ranch 300. So I had a mold modified and hollow pointed and the results were crazy good. I use this round to protect my chickens and other livestock from predators. The bullet cast at 148grains with 40:1 lead/tin and drops at .3085". I load it over 5.0 grains of Trail Boss and it has a muzzle velocity of 990fps. I get 1/2" groups at 50 yards and 1.25" at 100. It's only a 325ft/lb round but the bullet hits hard and dumps all the energy in the animal.

Until these bullets I had to track most everything I shot with the 220 grain subs because they basically just poked a .308" hole in the animal and even if you had 500ft/lbs it wasn't being used effectively.

Here is the 190 outlaw after stopping in the third milk jug nicely expanded(750fps). The flattened one is a Sierra 220 after going thru 5 jugs tumbling and smacking the 2x6 backer board (950fps). I had the outlaw loaded down that slow just to see if it would still expand. Have not been able to catch an outlaw in an animal. They do a fair amount of damage and still exit on broadside shots less than 100yds.

I shoot the outlaw subs in my 30-06 too. Velocities are not as consistent but it still shoots about 2" groups @ 100yds. This big sow did not go 50yds.

rainier is in the process of making a 180gr subsonic expanding projectile with a 300blk optimized profile - its supposed to be released sometime this year. Testing is supposedly complete and production has begun. rumor is may 2016 it'll be heading to dealers.

blackoutbullets.com has a subsonic hp thats an expander as well, but they seem to be OOS more often than not.

as others have noted Outlaw and Lehigh are the other main offerings for expanding subsonic type bullets right now for the blackout. The Lehigh 194 ME makes a hot mess of a critter from what i've seen in some pictures when they hit. i dunno if it could be considered fur friendly or not.

I have a couple boxes of the 168 grain Lehigh Defense subs, but haven't had to time to work with them yet. They will be running through a Rem Mod 7 micro w/ a 762SDN-6. G2 Research has some subs out now that are supposed to be pretty wicked, but haven't picked up any to mess with yet.

I can attest to non-expanding 300blk subs being the cause for a high number of hit and lost coyotes last year. I can also say it would be a reason I quit hunting with the guy for that reason, but we have since resurrected the relationship and he is running different ammo now.

300 BO shooters: if shooting subsonic ammo, what yardage to you zero at? I am new to this caliber( just purchased a Dan Defense 300 16 in) and am wondering with the steep drop off in trajectory how well does it work for shooting coyotes 100 yards and in? Any thought would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: jwdakota300 BO shooters: if shooting subsonic ammo, what yardage to you zero at? I am new to this caliber( just purchased a Dan Defense 300 16 in) and am wondering with the steep drop off in trajectory how well does it work for shooting coyotes 100 yards and in? Any thought would be appreciated.

I have zeroed at 100yrds ritually. However in your situation with the steep drop of Subsonic ammo 50 yrds would work very well.
With a 50 zero, Using 220gr SMK's 1025FPS
60yrds 1.15 moa drop
70yrds 2.44 moa drop
80yrds 3.82 moa drop
90yrds 5.27 moa drop
100yrds 6.77 moa drop
based off info from Ballistic AE.

Pretty close for the most part.

Hope this helps.
FYI 200 yrds is 23 moa.

Back