Tikka T3 Varmint in 22-250

Phil Boyles

Does anyone have one and how do you like it? Is it the blued version or stainless? It's hard to tell on the website, is the barrel fairly heavy?
Boy, I am having a hard time deciding on a rifle.
crazy.gif
Being a lefty has not been a help.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: vmax_blasterI had one and I really liked it. One gun I wish I still had and yes it's heavy.

Same here, sold mine too and wished I had not. VERY accurate rifle!!

I have one in 223 that I have had for a number years. There's been a lot of critters that wish I didn't have it. It seems to shoot most everything I put through it and yes the barrels are fairly heavy, but not truck axle heavy. I wouldn't pass one up if it'll work for you.

Shot prairie dogs, and a few coyotes, with my Tikka Varmint 22-250. Also have a Tikka Varmint in 223. Both guns are heavy, and for an old guy, not a very good carrying gun. Sold my 22-250, but kept the 223. The Tikka's are very accurate, even my Tikka T3 Lite in 223.
I moved into 204's and 20 VT for prairie dogs, and my Tikka's got left behind. Just depends on what type hunting you want to do, but the T3 Lite is my carry gun now. Tikka's are great guns, especially for the money.

I Have a T3 Lite SS in 22-250. Haven't found a factory round yet that it likes. Tried 45gr up to
55gr. Kinda wondering if I should have went a varmint weight barrel.

Those and about four other brands. I'am working on the stock now. Completely free floating the barrel
helped a lot, but still not close enough. I'am not real keen on the recoil lug setup.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvDon't get me wrong, tikka makes a nice weapon, but look at the Howa in 22-250...action way better and smoother...basically the same price. Jmo

not in my experience and opinion. tikka blew the howa away in all aspects.

Originally Posted By: DropadoglvDon't get me wrong, tikka makes a nice weapon, but look at the Howa in 22-250...action way better and smoother...basically the same price. Jmo

I've seen the Howa's shoot real good with the 55gr stuff. I want a 1/14 twist for the 45's

I have one. It shoots honest 7/8" groups at 285 yards with 52gr. Sierra BTHPs pushed to 3700fps. It's a rather fur-friendly load, too, if put through the ribs or straight on.

It's heavy...but it never leaves the shop. I snipe coyotes off the bait (285 yards) with it.

I have NEVER met a smoother bolt action. It feels like the bolt rides on bearings!

EDIT: I'll add, the SS were not available in the US when I got mine a couple years ago... And, the trigger is wonderful. I adjusted it to less than a pound and it's always a [good] surprise when it fires.

Last edited:
I have a T3 Varmint in .223 and its amazingly accurate. I upgraded the bolt shroud, bolt knob and went with bottom metal that accepts AI mags. Im shooting 82 gr Bergers under 1/2 inch. It shoots as well as some custom varmint rifles I have costing x3 the amount. Trigger is also very nice and adjustable.

Does anyone feel the varmint ss in .22-250 would be lacking with the 23 3/8"? barrel vs. a typical varmint 26"? I am tempted to pick up one also, the 14 twist doesnt bother me as i will probably be shooting 40 v-max's at gophers. How much speed would i be losing compared to a 26"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skidooracer_99Does anyone feel the varmint ss in .22-250 would be lacking with the 23 3/8"? barrel vs. a typical varmint 26"? I am tempted to pick up one also, the 14 twist doesnt bother me as i will probably be shooting 40 v-max's at gophers. How much speed would i be losing compared to a 26"?

Even though I started this thread, I am changing my mind on the caliber
tongue_smilie.gif
I am going to 243 Win for more reloading options and the ability to shoot heavier bullets. But the reason I am quoting skidooracer is I am considering cutting the barrel down to 20" to save weight and accommodate the suppressor without being a telephone pole. What's the consensus on this?
Thanks

Last edited:
243 is a great round but I think you would lose some of that speed with a 20" barrel. Not sure how much or if it really matters to ya. Why not an 8-9 twist 223 if your looking 20 inch barrel and shoot the heavies..

Don't be afraid to cut it down to 20". Both mine are 20" barrels, and I don't regret it one bit. Plus a coyote isn't going to know the difference between 3500 fps and 3350 fps. Don't worry Phil, you will thank me later when you add that 8" suppressor on the end of it.

Mine was a 22-250 stainless. It shot about anything you stuffed in it. Bolt was smooth and the trigger was great. Just a baby Sako in reality.

Originally Posted By: Phil BoylesOriginally Posted By: skidooracer_99Does anyone feel the varmint ss in .22-250 would be lacking with the 23 3/8"? barrel vs. a typical varmint 26"? I am tempted to pick up one also, the 14 twist doesnt bother me as i will probably be shooting 40 v-max's at gophers. How much speed would i be losing compared to a 26"?

Even though I started this thread, I am changing my mind on the caliber
tongue_smilie.gif
I am going to 243 Win for more reloading options and the ability to shoot heavier bullets. But the reason I am quoting skidooracer is I am considering cutting the barrel down to 20" to save weight and accommodate the suppressor without being a telephone pole. What's the consensus on this?

Thanks
Why not just buy a Ruger American Predator? Barrel is already threaded, and they seem to be accurate, from what I've read.

Back