yote gun help

ksnerd

So, to start off, I hope I didn't copy any topics, and that I posted in the right place. New here.
Down to brass tacks (nevermind the tacks, waste of perfectly good brass...). A relative has problems with yotes eating the rodent control in her barn, and harassing her two small dogs on her farm. This is all happening on the acre her house is sitting on, they're literally at her front door. Never hunted a yote in my life, but It's time for 'em to go.

I'm looking for a rifle to take care of them, preferably in an AR style, but my budget may not allow that. Any suggestions on caliber/rifle/optics? I would like to avoid .223 because I've seen what happens if you don't hit the dog just right. I can get 1" groupings with a 22LR @20 yds in a good stiff kansas wind, I'm no sniper. I would end up chasing a wounded and pissed off yote onto neighboring land...I'd rather not do that.
What I'm looking for in a rifle caliber:
Not saving fur, so one-and-done (or down) power even with slightly off shots (I.e. rib hit)
Readily available factory ammo options at a reasonable price
Will chamber into a production (but not bank-breaking) AR style rifle (I have my reasons for AR style, but I'm not opposed to other styles/actions except AK)

So, one very long and probably confusing post later (scatterbrained right now, can't you tell?), any help for a total idiot on the subject?

223 if you don't hit the dog just right?

i have killed more coyotes with a 223 than all the other calibers i have used combined. put it in the body cavity, head or spine and they are done. it does not matter how big a gun you use if you hit them in a non-lethal spot.

+1 for the .243 though. I've used both, and shot placement IS crucial, but the 6mm just hits harder. Alternatively, the 50 BMG would likely not require such careful shot placement...

Originally Posted By: ksnerd Never hunted a yote in my life

then this

Originally Posted By: ksnerd I would like to avoid .223 because I've seen what happens if you don't hit the dog just right.

where did you see all this bad stuff with the 223? does not sound like it was personal experience. well it really don't matter. 223 will get it done time and time again.

ksnerd, 1st welcome to this great sight. as defiant 3 and others have said, shot placement is #1 in importance for sure. Get a 223 or 243 axis...You can tweak it later ie barrel, stock,and trigger.Buy a bunch of different brands of
223 & 243 ammo. Practice , practice , practice. Have alot of fun.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, 30-06....?, most common yote cals. Are .223, 204, 243...but as said, if you don't have the correct shot placement, it doesn't matter? Right?

.223 or shotgun. Cant beat the availability of cheap .223 factory loads, $7 a 20round box for fmj. If the shots will be around 50yds or under a shotgun is the way to go. Get a nice coyote choke tube and some #4 or 00 buck and it'll tear a yote up

Thanks for all the help so far. I don't appreciate some of the snide remarks about giving advice. I have NO personal experience, I never said I did. I have talked to a few people in the area who take care of a few coyotes once in a while (gotta start somewhere for advice) and they all said the .223 was a glorified .22LR. Granted, they weren't the brightest folks, but the consensus was that the .223 was no good. I've seen enough people here with a different opinion, though, I can put it back in the running. Shot placement is crucial, that's why I'm hitting the makeshift range on the farm to replicate near exact conditions. Neighboring land is close enough for a wounded coyote to run to in some places, but the nearest building is about a mile away. I don't think a shotgun isn't going to cut it, I'm anticipating between 50 and 100 yd shots. But, like I said, I really know nothing, I'm tired of the yotes causing mayhem, time to step up and eleminate them.

.223 is nothing like a 22lr and that is a ridiculous comparison for those folks to make.My hornady .223 ammo produces 1250ft-lbs of kinetic energy at the muzzle with a 55gr explosive bullet, and a standard .22lr lead hollowpoint is about 100ish..... I'd say 12 times the energy is nowhere near just "glorified" haha. .223 will do the trick just fine, as with any caliber, shot placement is important as is ammo selection. As mentioned, the Ruger American is an awesome gun for the money and if you want to go the AR route you can build one for relatively cheap also.

Last edited:
It probably just states that you cannot use fmj I would check on it but any varmint type ammo should be fine. And they are wrong about the 223 but that's fine everyone has an opinion. If you feel like you might want a little more thumo then look at a 22-250. It's a nice flat shooting round that will do great. But just for a reference a 22 LR shooting wolf 40 gr match ammo has about 97 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle and my 223 has well over 1200.

Several of the people who I mentioned in a reply a moment ago showed me videos their hunting buddies took while they themselves made the shot. Took one guy THREE hits to kill one. The guys were rather incompetent, but they were the best advice I had until I found this forum.

Originally Posted By: ksnerdThanks for all the help so far. I don't appreciate some of the snide remarks about giving advice. I have NO personal experience, I never said I did. I have talked to a few people in the area who take care of a few coyotes once in a while (gotta start somewhere for advice) and they all said the .223 was a glorified .22LR. Granted, they weren't the brightest folks, but the consensus was that the .223 was no good. I've seen enough people here with a different opinion, though, I can put it back in the running. Shot placement is crucial, that's why I'm hitting the makeshift range on the farm to replicate near exact conditions. Neighboring land is close enough for a wounded coyote to run to in some places, but the nearest building is about a mile away. I don't think a shotgun isn't going to cut it, I'm anticipating between 50 and 100 yd shots. But, like I said, I really know nothing, I'm tired of the yotes causing mayhem, time to step up and eleminate them. Look, try and understand this, we're not ripping you, but these folks, including myself are predator hunters! Completely different breed. (Killers) You kinda have to be thick skinned here, don't take anything personal. Hope you accomplish what you set out to do! Good luck...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: defiant3+1 for the .243 though. I've used both, and shot placement IS crucial, but the 6mm just hits harder. Alternatively, the 50 BMG would likely not require such careful shot placement...

well, it would do the trick alright!
lol.gif
Naah, I was thinking a larger caliber based off of idiots' reviews of th .223, and the idea that I don't want to FUBAR a shot if I glance a rib.

They made bad shots. I'm not ripping them either but that's just what it is. And I'm no better I make bad shots as much as the next guy. It happens.

Originally Posted By: reaper4They made bad shots. I'm not ripping them either but that's just what it is. And I'm no better I make bad shots as much as the next guy. It happens.

Yeah. I can only shoot clays @ 60% with a shotgun. I need some practice...

Back