IMR 3031 & Hornady V-Max

AZ RON

I took the .223 and 22-250 out today.

.223 consisted of several hand loads for data collection:
40gr V-Max with IMR 3031 23.5gr, 24gr, 24.5gr and 25gr of powder
75gr HPBT also Hornady, IMR 3031 19.2gr, 19.9gr, 20.5gr and 21gr of powder.

22-250 was strictly 55gr Remington High Performance Factory Loads

The 40gr with 23.5gr powder and 75gr with 21gr powder performed the best.

The only Chrono data I have is for the 23.5gr of powder with 40gr V-max because after switching to the 75gr HPBT I placed the first round perfectly through the Chronograph and that was that...

Anyhow i'll be ordering a new one soon and hopefully have some more meaningful data for you guys. Until them, laughs on me.

For clarification, the 40gr V-max performed optimally at min load and the 75gr HPBT performed optimally at max load. I thought that was odd.

Rifle was an LWRC 14.5" barrel 1 in 7" twist

At least you had a perfect hit. I could only manage to hit mine with the bottom half of a 30 cal bullet at 2800 fps. The bullet turned to shrapnel and made a heck of a mess, the damage was impressive. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty when the round went off and surprisingly I didn't even say or think one cuss word.

Last edited:
I didnt know i hit it at first. Earlier in the afternoon I had to move it back because the muzzle blast of the 22-250 was knocking the sun shades off. I didn't realize the .223 rounds were barely clearing the Chrono until i switched to the heavier rounds. The bullet went through so fast and so clean that my first indication was "ERROR 3" on my phone. When I walked up to the chrono there was an entry whole just about the display but the back was completely blown out. Pretty impressive. The first thing I did was laugh uncontrollably. I immediately remembered reading the owner's manual disclaimer, "Intentional or unintentional shooting of this chronograph will void it's factory warranty." Hahaha I specifically remember thinking, "How dumb do you have to be to shoot your chronograph and then try and return it?" Well at least I figured out half of that question...

Prior to the whoopsie, what was the velocity data on the 40's? And that is th e same reason that my dad no longer borrows my chrony. He double tapped mine with a 308....Itty bitty pieces.

Originally Posted By: AZ RONFor clarification, the 40gr V-max performed optimally at min load and the 75gr HPBT performed optimally at max load. I thought that was odd.

Originally Posted By: AZ RONI didnt know i hit it at first. Earlier in the afternoon I had to move it back because the muzzle blast of the 22-250 was knocking the sun shades off. I didn't realize the .223 rounds were barely clearing the Chrono until i switched to the heavier rounds. The bullet went through so fast and so clean that my first indication was "ERROR 3" on my phone. When I walked up to the chrono there was an entry whole just about the display but the back was completely blown out. Pretty impressive. The first thing I did was laugh uncontrollably. I immediately remembered reading the owner's manual disclaimer, "Intentional or unintentional shooting of this chronograph will void it's factory warranty." Hahaha I specifically remember thinking, "How dumb do you have to be to shoot your chronograph and then try and return it?" Well at least I figured out half of that question...

I think you need to switch to a better bullet if your getting Exits...
The 20gr Zmax @ 4350fps performs a lot better with a entry hole and no exits...

All kidding aside if its a Chrony they will send you a new one for about $50.00 if you call them
wink.gif

It was a Caldwell, I'm going to call them Monday and see if they offer anything like that. Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Prior to the whoopsie, what was the velocity data on the 40's?

Originally Posted By: AZ RON

Screenshot_2016-02-21-09-28-15_zpsbemklt20.png

I imagine you would get 3000+fps in a 20" barrel I'm just working with what I've got until I decide on 22-250 vs. 243 vs. 6.5 Creedmore. Tough choices

There is an old axiom about shooting chronies. "There are two kinds of people who shoot chronographs...Those that have, and those that will soon". Mine was an F2 that took a 380 slug to the face. I was looking to change chronograph brands, so I did not pursue the "replacement" option. I was impressed by the 380 slug's damage, too.

I may have expressed one mildly profane word, at the initial hit, but then the reason to buy a new chrony flashed in my head, and all was good.
grin.gif

Squeeze

This is precisely why I opted for the Magnetospeed over the Chrony style. While reading these stories always entertains me, I know I would react much more negatively if I shot one.

I just loaded up some 40gr NBT to try out, curious as to the MV i'll get out of a 12.5" barrel

Originally Posted By: Redleg84This is precisely why I opted for the Magnetospeed over the Chrony style.

Good thinkin'. I shot two Chronies before getting it through my
head the MagnetoSpeed would be cheaper in the long run!
sneaky2.gif

I just got my second Caldwell in the mail today. If I shoot this one I might be a little more upset. I loaded up a batch of V-Max 110gr. in .308. I'm convinced I can make a Yote round for the .308

I think one of the guys on Snipers Hide was running 110 vmax and IMR 3031 at about 3000 fps from a 20"/10tw. Said it was "messy".
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back