AR 15 Reloading Who does it?

For plinking, I used to use IMR-3031 and 55 gr SPs until I found that the carbon build up was much heavier than with ball powder. I switched to using H335 in my ARs after having excellent experiences with it in my bolt guns.

For .223 or 5.56 loads, I use H335 across the board. Cheap, easy to find, burns clean, meters well, and most importantly, its accurate.
Varget works good for me in my ARs when I use the 75 gr AMAX but I don't use it as often because you have to load one at a time.

i just started crimping my AR loads last year. i cant say i've noticed a problem with my 223 or 204 loads, but i started loading some cast stuff in blackout playing around, and as such had to crimp to remove the belling. once i got the die set, i just use it for all my blk loads. I have since switched over as i can see no drawbacks to doing it. I'm running just a light crimp on things (about 1/4 turn) just enough to give it a little kiss.

do you need to? not necessarily.

Does it make me feel better to not worry about setbacks, absolutely.

Invest in a good case gauge. I use a Dillon, a couple other places make good ones. They will tell you a lot and save a lot of headache.

Originally Posted By: 1FoxInvest in a good case gauge. I use a Dillon, a couple other places make good ones. They will tell you a lot and save a lot of headache.

That sounds like a good idea.

My particular AR seems to mark the primer quite noticeably on a bolt drop. Any primer have a tougher cup than the others to prevent a slam fire?

A SWAT shooter @ my local police range suggested Remington.

Originally Posted By: 41remOriginally Posted By: 1FoxInvest in a good case gauge. I use a Dillon, a couple other places make good ones. They will tell you a lot and save a lot of headache.

That sounds like a good idea.

My particular AR seems to mark the primer quite noticeably on a bolt drop. Any primer have a tougher cup than the others to prevent a slam fire?

A SWAT shooter @ my local police range suggested Remington.

Harder/thicker cupped primers are covered with the Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450 and the CCI 41.

Here is a little chart/article that has been around for decades.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

The 400 and 450's are the same thickness but notice a height difference. They, by performance, do handle pressure better than the 400's.

Remington has published a statement years ago to not use the 6 1/2 in that AR. Many of us have but YMMV.

Greg

Back