45 long colt

I believe that you have OR, are going through the correct steps such as
SLug the barrel
Check cylinders
Check the forcing cone and correct it if needed
Get a Good Genuine (done by a competent Smith) Trigger JOB Do NOT unhook one side of the spring
Slugging the barrel should reveal thread choke If you have thread choke and gun shoots OK then leave it alone. If gun does not shoot OK then Look at 2 places and that is beartoothbullets.com for correct supplies to remove it, and then look at singleactions.proboards.com and look under 2dogs write-up ion this subject. He shows in photos the correct way to address this. I have done several guns and Fermin is spot on with this post on the forum.
Cast Bullets will always shoot faster than jacketed! Jacketed bullets have too much friction. They will wear out a pistol much faster. Think about a rifles loosing accuracy after 3K rounds so you see what can happen. This is not in stone,, but a barrel is a barrel.

BFR and Freedomm Arms Pistols are the most accurate out of the box, for store bought. Custom pistols the price range goes way higher depending upon what is entailed.
Rugers are affordable for the most part, and even if you have to do this work which should be 200 - 300 dollars more you will still not have the investment of 1200 to 5K
Even if you customize the pistol with new sights, new barrel, reamed cylinder or a new Line Bored cylinder, trigger job and new grips all that can be sometimes less than a Freedom Arms pistol or a custom for sure. But in spite of all that,, I have seen stock Rugers that shoot good.
Cast Bullets. It is very important to get a good bullet for your pistol. Sized correct and the profile needs to be correct. Unfortunately there has been too many copies of the Keith Style, Bullets. Your work is cut out for you to find the correct bullet and the best way is to get on these 2 forums: castboolits.gunloads.com/forum and the singleactions.proboard.com
Ask and you will be given hundreds of loads. But you will have to sift through to find out what is best for your GUN.
Powders and loads: This can drive you crazy if the bullet selection didn't !! The correct combination can be a struggle, but there are some guidelines. One of them is to read Brian Pierce write-ups in Handloader magazine. The other thing is to try some what I call OLD STANDBYS Ex: a 250 gr SWC loaded with 10 grains of Unique (Ruger Only) 45 Cal
There are others for each caliber,, and this is not the only one for the 45 Colt.
I recently finally remembered my own sermon that I had preached,,, after trying different loads in the 44 SP with the results of Patterns instead of groups I lay down the 44 SP and decided I probably would sell it. This was a disappointment since I had done the list I stated here, Slugged barrel had trigger job, Fire Lapped the barrel (to remove the thread choke) and for cosmetic purpose replaced the scales ( new Grips) Then trying New factory ammo Cowboy stuff, and Buffalo Bore shot and shot. No Good !!! Fast forward to three years later,,, then I remembered like I said ,,, SO,, I tried Skeeters Load of 250 grain bullet with 7.5 grains of Unique. Hitting the Bullseye at 25yds and less than 4" at 50 yds So you see what I mean that trial and error is sometimes the only way to achieve the desired results.
Skeeter had loads for the 357 and the 44 SP Elmer Keith had them for everything and I felt like that I should try some of these OLD STANDBY Loads before writing off a gun. Be careful with Elmer Loads cause some of them are way too hot.
Every Gun is different and each one likes it's own formula and recipe for loads. I cannot give you the best load for your Pistol only some guidelines.
Do NOT let this discourage you!!! Please let it encourage you to put forth a little more effort to achieve your desired results. One of the best things too is called TRIGGER TIME The more you shoot the better you can be. It may surprise you to find that loads you thought were mediocre might turn to be the better ones. I hope this helps because that is all it was meant to do.

It's been said here, but I'll reiterate - Slug the bore first.

If the bore has constrictions, you can't effectively correct it, so the best work on the forcing cone and cylinder throats won't fix anything.

Fire lapping gets mixed reviews at best. If you own a borescope, you wouldn't fire lap - long story short, it burns out EVERYTHING and seriously rounds the rifling for the entire bore, and there's a very fine line between enough and too much. Hand lapping is effective and when done properly, it doesn't round the rifling on the rest of the bore (you have to manually pour laps, then carefully engage the rifling into the lap each time, takes forever). The proper process to fix frame crush bore constriction is to have Ruger replace the barrel (for free).

No need to order custom bullets just to have them sized - sizing dies are readily available.

Bullet path should run like a funnel - the throat should match the bullet size, then the entrance of the forcing cone equal or slightly larger, funneling down to slightly smaller in the bore.

Line boring only ensures minimal bullet damage - the Forcing Cone in a revolver ensures proper barrel/cylinder alignment by letting the bullet self-align the cylinder. Too much misalignment and the bullet will get damaged in the process. Line boring ensures minimal misalignment, yielding minimal bullet damage.

My revolver buying process involves taking feeler gauges and range rods to the store. If the match rod doesn't drop freely, or the B/C gap and headspace don't match up for my desires, it doesn't come home with me.

Thank you for the posts. I'm slugging the barrels today. The 7 1/2 inch gun shoots 0.25 inch groups with the Matt's bullets 315 cast with gas check. My Ruger BH 5 1/2 is the one that's giving me fits. It has the acp and colt cylinders. I have shot the factory ammo out of 45 acp none group well.I have switched to the colt cylinder to see if it was a bullet weight issue. Every one on line says they like the 300 grain and plus for accuracy. So I will put this gun through the shot strings I just put my 7 1/2 inch gun though. 10.5 hs6 was good with 260 bullet, 12.5 hs6 was 2nd ,I will also try the 280 and 315 bullets.but I have loaded blue dot, and green dot loads as well.I'll keep you posted as for gun smithing I will probably go for a trigger job on both. Line bore alignment haven't looked at that one lol I was shooting for the easy fix.but like all shooters that chase accuracy it's a journey. The pistol is different than rifle but I'll get there. Just hope it doesn't take me 20 yrs for this one. I don't understand why people settle for 15 yrds when shooting. I group at 50yds with my bow. 200yrds with my rifle .I expect a pistol to group at 100 yrds at least that's my expectations.

Originally Posted By: NVcallerLine bore alignment haven't looked at that one lol I was shooting for the easy fix.

It won't be practical to have a Ruger BH "Line Bored". If you don't understand what that means - which it's apparent you don't - it entails cutting a new cylinder, then using a bushing in place of the barrel to guide a boring bit to cut pilot holes for the chambers, which are then finish reamed from the other end outside of the revolver. This is a very expensive process, you'll have $800-1000 in having this done (last I checked). At the end of the day, it's NOT worth the money on a Ruger.

Most of my Ruger revolvers which I've tried it with will shoot 2.5MOA to 250yrds with minimal work. No custom cylinders, just a matter of taking a range rod and feeler gauges to the shop before I take receipt for the firearm (which catches frame crush as well as ensures barrel/chamber alignment as well as b/C gap and headspace, plus checking timing).

15yrds is an expectation based on defensive shooting, not hunting. There's no reason to shoot a Ruger LCP .380acp pocket pistol at 100yrds. Most guys don't shoot handguns well enough to kill deer at 50yrds even, let alone 100yrds.

I used to teach handgun classes as well as coaching for some competitive handgunners, I haven't met many people that honestly shot better offhand than a Ruger revolver could deliver out of the box.

Thank you terminator. So far I can group .25 with my Ruger 7 1/2 .I practice more than your average bear .I comp shot for years in archery, rifle,and shot gun.I even dable in some forms of gun smithing. You can also buy cylinders for said alignment. I'm just not sure I'm willing to go that far lol. I just want to see how accurate I can make this factory gun .I'm not planning on comp pistol shooting just hunting,and the love of shooting. This 45 is consuming me right now averaging 300 rounds a week.getting better modified one trigger on one 45 next one will get it this weekend.

Back