freezing hides

jmcarr1998

I have decided to hold onto my hides untill next year to sell. I assume I should flesh them before I freeze them for this long. Any comments would be helpful. New trapper.

The fur buyers i have talked to advocate that you don't flesh first..

Roll them fur side out, starting at the tail and end up with the face on top. (when you thaw them, you start with the face and the fat comes off easier, imo)

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZThe fur buyers i have talked to advocate that you don't flesh first..

Roll them fur side out, starting at the tail and end up with the face on top. (when you thaw them, you start with the face and the fat comes off easier, imo)

X1

Good article in Trapper's Post this month on this very subject. Basically states that to flesh them and store them in a non-frost free freezer.

I would sell now and move on. Just as much chance of prices being the same or worse in the next few years and unlikely to significantly rise enough to cover cost of freezing depending on the volume you are considering. One long power outage and you're SOL. Consider unusual skins for the taxidermy or hobby market. Good luck.

Back