20 Practicle Questions

AWS

Retired PM Staff
As some of you know I just acquired an AR in 20 Practicle. I know nothing about loading for an AR or the round other than it is a direct neçk down from the 223. I've never owned a 20 cal either so HELP.

Here's what I need help with.

1. Dies

2. Bullets, twist unknown at present and ranges under 300 so need info for target ànd pelt hunting coyotès.

3. Powders, would like to keep it to commonly available powders and it doesn't bother me to deal with stick powders as I weigh àll charges any way.

Thank you

AWS

.20 caliber bullets come in a variety of weights from 32gr on up to 55gr, however those above 40gr usually need to have the chamber cut a little longer than normal. You need to determine the twist rate for your barrel, it's a simple process that can be done with your cleaning rod..Most 20 calibers work really well with a little 'Jump' to the lands..A 1/12 twist in pretty standard, with 1/10 twists used for the above 40gr bullets..

You will need to use a fairly fast burn rate powder for the lighter bullets, in the past I've had great success with Ramshot's X-Terminator, Winchester 748, and Ramshot's TAC...The Ramshot powders meter like water and seem to burn slightly cleaner than W-748...There are others that will produce excellent results as well..BL C2 also works well, I just don't like having to deal with the drop difference caused by 'bridging' in the smaller cases.. 1/10th grain can cause a difference in accuracy...

As to dies, I'm not sure which manufactures offer the neck down bushings for working with the .223 cases, but Redding Type S is the first that comes to mind...A quick phone call can solve any questions you have about them..

Most ARs can be pretty finicky about the shoulder bump needed for reliable function, so stick with a Full Length sizing die...

Great caliber, and tons of info on here about loading for it.

Dies, you will need a 223 FL bushing die, most use Redding. Bushing .226 IIRC. Redding part 14206, which is the 204 type s decapping assembly, available from Sinclair.

Form by running through a regular 223 die with the expander assembly removed, then the bushing die. The first step isn't necessary after the first loading of course.

Seat bullets with a Hdy 20 cal seater, or I used my 204 seater and it worked fine.

For bullets many like 35 bergers, mine liked 40's better and they have a better bc. Benchmark works great, as does H335 and imr 8208 and many others. Your rifle should be a 1-10 (eggshoot rifle right?)

Congratulations on your Egg Shoot win. It is throated to handle heavy bullets if you want but 39-40's are fine with the 35 Bergers being perfect. I have shot some 55's in mine with good luck. The Redding as set up above works great for case forming. Load data can be the published Tactical stuff. You can go a bit higher as the capacity is slightly bigger on the P. Pick up the ASC STAINLESS magazines, NOT the ALUMINUM. They let you load to 2.314 nominal and that is good.

Greg

AWS, that was some amazing shooting you did. Congratulations. I tried to congratulate you in person Saturday but you were being given the rock star treatment. I think I definitely need some lessons after seeing you shoot. I shoot the 20 Tactical which is basically the same round as the practical. Just get a Redding comp full length die set and use 223 brass. I have best accuracy and velocity in mine with 35g Bergers and 26.0g of IMR 8208. Enjoy that beautiful rifle!!

Thank you everyone for the info, I get more excited about the rifle everyday. It will be after the first of March before I see it as I'm still on the road. This morning I had the pleasurè of calling my nephews first coyote for à shot and he did the work like an old pro. When I get home will post the story w/pics.

I have the guts from a 204 Ruger bushing die at the house left over from the 22-204 and 6mm-204 wildcats I built so I'm halfway to the dies I need.

Thanks

AWS

Last edited:
Back