Wouldn't it be Cool

pyscodog

Got a dose of "cabin fever" and waaay to windy to do much shooting, so I decided to do some gun shop hoppin'. I went to three different places and all three seem to be more inclined or leaning to the "tactical" crowd. Wouldn't it be cool if there were shops that catered to the predator and varmint hunting people? I went through the AR bug and a small dose of the tactical bug too but now and more than ever, I lean towards the accurate varmint/predator caliber rifles. I still like the heavy barrel rifles but in smaller calibers. Just an observation, no point really.

Last edited:
That would be nice, but then we would just be further in debt. I tried a little of the "Tacti-cool" stuff also, but it wasn't my thing. Liked the long range competition, but it's just more calming sitting in the brush sounding like something has ahold of me.

Originally Posted By: Rich1That would be nice, but then we would just be further in debt. I tried a little of the "Tacti-cool" stuff also, but it wasn't my thing. Liked the long range competition, but it's just more calming sitting in the brush sounding like something has ahold of me.

Me too Rich1. But I don't feel any sillier than blowing on a grunt call or banging a set of horns together on public hunting land. Every deer in the woods is probably saying, That Dumb Azz really think we never heard this before!!
I guess Bass Pro and places like that are as close as it will get.

Last edited:
Seems like the local shops around here have gone that route also.
I live in upstate n.y. and I just drove this past weekend to New Hampshire to check out a couple gun shops that cater more to the hunter than the tac. crowd. I have no problem with the black guns its just not my cup of tea.I DO LIKE LISTENING TO THE SALESMAN SELLING THE BLACK GUNS. Of course most of the time they are preaching to the ill-informed crowd.

That tactical cr*p bug never hit me as I am not a band wagon jumper.
On top of that its just plain lame to me. A basic AR15 low power scope & flip up sights are the only thing needed...BUT you know how the companies are & their promotion of said junk for the AR15 and every ill-informed (& well-informed) buyer thinking they have to have whats being sold at the moment.
Yup, stay with a good accurate bolt action varmint rig, but again that's not whats being pushed or raved about.

I went in on store and a sales person ask if he could help me. I asked if they had any 204 Ruger caliber rifles. He gave me that "Deer in the headlight" look and said I can probably order you one. I went into another and walking in the door, it was definitely pro AR. Didn't even bother asking there.
Something about lights and lazers, vertical grips. All that stuff doesn't really do much for me. To each their own, just not my thing. An accurate bolt rifle in a nice stock gets my heart pumping. I saw a Cooper at the last gunshow. It had some of the prettiest AAA walnut I ever seen on a rifle. Don't think I slept that night thinking about it and what I needed to sell to come up with the money to buy it. No sleep and no Cooper either. LOL

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to have a gunshop with a talented gunsmith right down the road, if they have more than a couple of AR's on the shelf, it's by accident.

The owner/gunsmith is into eradicating every coyote in the tri-county area,he calls, traps or whatever it takes. I feel right at home there.

I think maybe the current political climate might be driving some of the black rifle stuff. I prefer to hunt with fast flat caliber bolt rifles but imo not a bad idea to have the means to lay out some lead.

Last edited:
I feel the same way Psycodog.....I've seen so many Guys getting caught up in the 300 Win Mag Syndrome only to sell it later at a big loss because of high recoil,expensive ammo and damage to meat on the Game they hunted.

Light Recoil and great Accuracy is so much more interesting plus with more People getting into Coyote/Predator Hunting they are realizing that saving the fur/hides mean a lot if You want to sell the hides or have a nice Animal Tanned or Mounted?

My local shop has about 100 bolt actions and as many shotguns and only about 5 AR rigs on the shelf. AR's arent as popular here as a lot of other locales. I dont own one and only a few friends do.

Psychodog sounds the same here. I am fortunate to have some shops that have both as well as pistols. not always happy with the brands but they do try to keep variety. they have to have what sells AND they need to make a living. But if you need something they are willing to work to make you happy......best part LAYAWAY. so if you have an itch that needs scratching and you don't have it all and you really like something they will work with you. not all shops will do that but these folks will. sometimes you might find a nice used or even a gun that may have happen to sit in the rack for a while and you know the new price is higher in current day terms, you might get a nice discount without trying. Older I get .. less kick easier handling. No tacticool for me...for hunting purposes simple bolt.

Don't get me wrong, AR's can be cool and in a hunting situation pretty handy for follow up shots on multiple targets. I just kinda got burned out on them and prefer bolt action guns now. Its the mall ninja's that have every possible add on imaginable hung on their rifles that really crack me up.

A guy at the club today, also a dealer/shop owner, had a new model Daniel Defense AR rifle. I must say it was very nice but was also $1500 plus tax. Whew! Just don't see it.

I have both and like having quick follow up shots if I need them. But I've shot bolt action rifles since I was young. I grew up shootin them so that's normally what I reach for when I head out calling. The AR took a little getting used to at first.

Back