.223 squirrel

Clinton.jpg

Hmm, that depends on what your definition of "BARELY" is.

A injured squirrel with a destroyed nose that would run off and die a painful death for absolutely no reason. Take them dead center in the head or tone down to a 22 RF for a lung/heart shot.

A better question would be "why would anyone shoot a squirrel on the end of the nose with a .223"? or how about "If shooting a squirrel on the end of the nose, would you prefer a .17HRM or a 22 mag"? or how about "If shooting a squirrel on the end of the nose at extreme distance, which European Optics would you use for under $750"?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nah iwas jus wonderin cuz nex week in 3wks squirrel season open but im gonna be coyote hunting 2 and ialways seem 2 see them when im hunting sumpthon else

ahhh well i figured i can let a few coyotes pass cuz i like th taste of a squiirell better than the fur of a coyotes so as long as i nail one coyote im good

but im not takin a squirrel until i already have the yote

Last edited:
I bet it would kill the squirrel. I imagine that the sudden pressure change as the bullet whizzes by at 3000fps would have a bad effect on a squirrel's brain. Plus any fragments or liquids that shoot up into the squirrel's head from the impact would likely knock it out or kill it. Just my thoughts. I've never tried aiming for the nose. You must be a better shot than I am.

if i can clip the nose ever time with my 17hmr surely i can do it with my .223

try for the nose its fun and it ill killem dead

the eye is like on the head and w/ my 17hmr i was hittin them in the head and it was still blowin out the insides so i could only imagine what a .223 would do

y the ear?

dad used to rabbit hunt alot, and when he'd sneak up on one in a fencerow, he'd shoot the tip of the nose off with his shotgun, since the wadding didnt open it just shattered the skull, instant kill. But long range for a squirrel, i wouldnt advise it, just carry a scattergun too.

Coyotes learn, mistakes teach them. Thats why some on here use the term "educating coyotes" you go bustin squirrels with a 223 and they will learn to leave the area, or learn to not come around when the shooting could go on, Or only come around after dark. You get what I'm sayin now?

t/c223encore.

yea i got it from the begginnin but what i dont understan is that i call the same place i squirrel , deer , and everything else and i still see them ofen

Back