BEST GLASS at $1200

Growing up my dad and I always used Tasco Worldclass (yep, you read that right - the old Japan models aren't too bad), Redfield, and Leupold scopes on our hunting rifles.

For deer hunting in Georgia, they all served their purpose well. Over the past 4 or 5 years I got more interested in better glass. The Tascos and Refields have been out of the picture for over 20 years. We used Vari-X II and Vari-X III glass for a long time.

Through research I have learned that certain brands "tune" their scopes for different attributes.

For me, clarity and resolution are #1. I found the VX-3 fit this role. I was in disbelief when the Leupold resolved bullet holes better at 200 over the Conquest. Had my brother-in-law verify as well. However, most people say that the VX-3 glass and Conquest glass are pretty equal. Maybe Zeiss and Leupold tune their scopes for different characteristics.

I am looking for a target, precision, and occasionally varmint hunting scope (pdogs).

I found out very quickly last June that a SFP varmint reticle in the HD5 didn't work for me when shooting Pdogs. Never stayed on a set power due to mirage and environmental conditions. So the reticle became useless basically.

I can't afford the S&B, Kahles, IOR, Tangent Theta, March category of scope.

$1200 is it.

Based on my experience, I feel a tactical scope (don't really like the label) with a FFP reticle is about ideal for shooting steel and small critters on the prairie. No calculations to make, just see it, shoot, and compensate. Subtensions are always correct.

I use the VX-3 glass as my baseline. I like it, and think it is fine for 99% of what I do. So if the other scopes we talked about have better glass than the VX-3 then I know I will be happy in that department.

Burris XTR II, Nightforce SHV, Weaver Tactical, Sightron SIII, Bushnell LRHS is all I can think of at the moment.

Well I got the Docter scope yesterday in the mail. I'm extremely impressed with the glass. Great big sight picture, clear edge to edge, no distortion, colors are sharp and bright. As good as my swarovski as far as I can tell.

The illumination feature is a little different than most, but I like it. Nice reticle, nice finish. If you're looking for a hunting scope without turrets, and great glass without paying 3grand. Check out Docter.

so the NXS is out of your price range, but the SHV FFP has come up several times in the topic and only once in a negative sense. I'm interested in knowing more of what you guys think. I'm looking to get an NXS, but I know I could save $1000 and go with the SHV... Tough call.

I ordered a Sightron SIII, FFP, Mil Hash, 6-24x50 and a Burris XTR II 3-15x50. Will let you all know what I think when they arrive.

On a side note: locally I can get a brand new Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 with the moa reticle for about $455. Very tempting.

Back