Which Handguard?

FishnHunt9

Currently building an AR-15 mainly to predator hunt with I've got everything picked out but the handguard and for that I have no clue. What is a good handguard that's light and good for predator hunting? I was thinking about Rock River TRO I would like it to be affordable also

Last edited:
I just bought a generic slim free float off of Amazon for a low price. I haven't installed it yet because my hand doc hasn't signed me off on tools yet.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84AP Customs carbon fiber handguards are a good choice

Agree, but you will have a hard time finding one of these.

OP: What are your goals with this build/hanguard?

It's not really light, but I love the look and feel of my Diamondhead VRS. And you can just screw in a standard uncle mikes sling stud into the threaded holes.

I recently installed a couple of midwest industry key mods and I have to say I was impressed easy to time/torque to the rec and light weight can put anything on em you want or nothing at all, got em at joebobs

I just put a matrix keymod on one of mine and like it a lot. I needed to be able to put flip up sights on my build, but had zero need for anything else bolted to the gun. Chandler Hardwoods has them pretty reasonable

Originally Posted By: FishnHunt9Currently building an AR-15 mainly to predator hunt with I've got everything picked out but the handguard and for that I have no clue. What is a good handguard that's light and good for predator hunting? I was thinking about Rock River TRO I would like it to be affordable also

Affordable is what the Matrix fore ends are all about. Skinny, Keymod, and a barrel nut that doesn't have to be indexed to get the gas tube over it. Price is great(

Noveske NSR keymod.

IMG_3617_zpsgzzrz1ik.jpg

I bought a Matrix Victor handguard I went to put barrel nut on and my armour wrench doesn't fit it, what are hall using to put these barrel nuts on?

Originally Posted By: FishnHunt9I bought a Matrix Victor handguard I went to put barrel nut on and my armour wrench doesn't fit it, what are hall using to put these barrel nuts on?

I had a big "cresent" wrench, taped the jaws, used the flats on the barrel nut to tighten to what I guessed was about 30-40 ft/lbs. There are no notches to need to be indexed for the gas tube, so just tighten to a tad past snug.
grin.gif

Squeeze

Back