Anybody have any experience with Excel 17 HMR Acelerator Rifle

No experience besides picking one up and handling it at a gun show. HEAVY. UGLY. But it does carry a good balance.

I dunno. For the money I think a savage A17 is a better buy.

Got it ,shot it a little ,funky little gun, Shot it off hand and at 50 yards can group about 3 in . Wife and I was shooting some paint can over the weekend ,using corner post for a rest painted the log and ground at 100 yards . Definitely a little more pop to it than a 22 . Gallon can jumped about foot in the air and slurped paint a couple more .. Get some time will have to see how it groups off a rest at 100 yds .. Probably shoots better than I can hold still anymore

Last edited:
i would be leery of any non-delayed blowback bottle neck rimfire. that locking delay on the a17 is a safety feature, not some neat gimmick. you'll notice if you go to the Excel Arms website that they no longer make the 17hmr version of the accelerator.

on a standard blowback semi-auto 17hmr the risk is that due to extraction while still under pressure, carbon & crud can and will build up in the shoulder area of the chamber. give enough buildup in that area and you greatly increase the potential for an out of battery cartridge ignition due to the change in headspace. without the base of the cartridge & the rim fully supported by the chamber properly - kaboom. this is what caused the recalls on almost all of the semi-auto 17 hmr rifles a few years ago.

i just picked up an a-17 and ordered a boyd's for it to replace the awful factory stock. i've been waiting for a safe semi-auto 17hmr since about 6 months after i got my savage 93r17.

Back