~.:Thre3 "C"s:.~

Infidel 762

Staff member
Yesterday night..

I was just kinda sitting there, watching it get dark.. Thinking about the concept of "moments of clarity".. Those unexpected revelations that removes filters that once hid truth.. Like a new set of glasses, when down wind to my 7 o'clock coyote' starts barking at me.. Looking over my shoulder, this is what I saw;

As useful as food.. As matter of fact as the ground.. Pure and uncut.. Truth that makes war as necessary as stupidity.. That moves things back and forth.. Up and down.. In and out.. To and fro in balanced cycles.. From insects to cosmic dust and comets, we skip to the beat of our own frequencies intoned in the distance.. In a search for understanding of "that which is", we find few absolutes.. The only thing set in stone is that it will be balanced..

This morning I made one blank stand at dawn.. Switched gears-grabbed the plastic owl;

Matter, energy - everything circles with balance or the equivalent.. Creation and destruction, birth and death, beginnings and endings, hot and cold, positive and negative.. Birds cut the air with balance, until shot gun pellets tip their equilibrium;

Walking between sets I found some natural scent cover
tongue_smilie.gif

Made one stand before dark.. Called in this male;

I was able to shoot 20 crows but one was a coon
blink.gif

Coon, crow and coyote = Thre3 "C"s

Since before the burning of Rome, mankind has known balanced mystery.. Except those who are off balance
crazy.gif

....:
rolleyes.gif
:....

Again , your usual high mark performance.
thumbup1.gif

Once upon a time two targets of opportunity , pair of crows , could be seen from my work shop window that faces a large farm field. Grabbed the Dtech .204 and slowly opened the door and took aim. They were out about 150 and I picked the one on the right and sent it. The bullet took out the lower drive train and crow number 2 takes off in escape. Crow number one is trying to follow flapping along the ground calling to number 2. 2 also calling back to its mate gets out 40 yards and does a hard left and returns about 20 yards , lands , calling to its terminal mate still making slow progress in its direction . I put the x on crow two and it is crushed by the impact. Now back to crow one, now at a standstill , and the next report ends its time on earth . To see one mate return to the other in the face of death, because of this bond ,and give its last seconds of life to be with its dying mate made me feel a little sad and also inspired ..... and wonder how many people would really do the same or have......still gives my heart a pinch when I think on it. Jim

Last edited:
That's a nice spread there. I've run crow fight at the end of dry stands a few times lately and wished I'd of had a shotgun, its fun watching them come in..........usually takes less than five minutes.

Funny what memories a picture evokes! That coyote/crow picture reminded me of a couple of times my grandmother put on a Thanksgiving meal of turkey, surrounded by quail, surrounded by dove breast. I guess I must be a little off balance!
scared.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words all...

Originally Posted By: flintrock Funny what memories a picture evokes! That coyote/crow picture reminded me of a couple of times my grandmother put on a Thanksgiving meal of turkey, surrounded by quail, surrounded by dove breast. I guess I must be a little off balance!
scared.gif

Off balance.. Oh ohhh.. My mom's Filipino side of the family loves to roast whole pigs over open fire pit.. After cooked they lay it out on a table surrounded by cultural side dishes almost like a shrine around the pig; head, hooves and all.. The good thing about them leaving the head on is the assurance they are not feeding you a dog;)
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: jf1073That's a nice spread there. I've run crow fight at the end of dry stands a few times lately and wished I'd of had a shotgun, its fun watching them come in..........usually takes less than five minutes.

Ohhhh.. Use of an electronic call is illegal in Oklahoma.. ODOW considers them a migratory bird the same as a goose.. Gotta plug that shotty..

Originally Posted By: Dewey NYNice write up and pictures.. I like the coyote and crows pic.. Is there anything you don't hunt.? Congrats sir..

This is the first year I have hunted stuff other than deer and predators in quite some time.. A little turkey hunting but even then I wanna shift gears to coyote;)

Originally Posted By: spiderman Again , your usual high mark performance.
thumbup1.gif

Once upon a time two targets of opportunity , pair of crows , could be seen from my work shop window that faces a large farm field. Grabbed the Dtech .204 and slowly opened the door and took aim. They were out about 150 and I picked the one on the right and sent it. The bullet took out the lower drive train and crow number 2 takes off in escape. Crow number one is trying to follow flapping along the ground calling to number 2. 2 also calling back to its mate gets out 40 yards and does a hard left and returns about 20 yards , lands , calling to its terminal mate still making slow progress in its direction . I put the x on crow two and it is crushed by the impact. Now back to crow one, now at a standstill , and the next report ends its time on earth . To see one mate return to the other in the face of death, because of this bond ,and give its last seconds of life to be with its dying mate made me feel a little sad and also inspired ..... and wonder how many people would really do the same or have......still gives my heart a pinch when I think on it. Jim

I slide the glass door open in my living room just enough to stick the muzzle out to take out vermin from time to time.. Mostly just use a 22 but I have given the room the spent shotgun fragrance.. I know cordite is no longer used in shotgun shells but whatever is sure smells good..

When I was real young I was deer hunting with my dad.. I don't think I even had a gun.. The river was very low and light was fading.. We had a doe being followed by a little buck come out on the open sandbar crossing the river to us.. I remember my dad shot that little buck and both turned and ran back across.. We found the little buck and was dragging it back across on the open sand.. We looked back and that doe was standing on the river bank watching us.. We wrestled trying to get that deer up the river bank when it was just light enough to barely see and that doe was out on the sandbar still watching us from a distance.. Looking back that was pretty unusual cause deer don't pair up and mate for life.. Might have been curiosity but it was definitely stupidity.. I did not have any knowledge of the rut and my understanding about deer mating was based off the cartoon "Bambi"..

jeremy

Great write up and pics Jeremy. I've been looking forward to reading another one of your posts for a while. Glad to see you got out and had some action.
Always putting a deeper more meaningful spin on the hunt
thumbup1.gif

Fine read and pics. I used to hunt crows back in the 70's with a portable 45 record player and homemade hard wired speaker. Man was that fun. Congrats on a fine day.

Last edited:
Great tale - i love how u spin it - i have shot crows as a younger man - but never with a call-
my days @ Nanuk- i believe we hosted a hunter from IL who was famed to b the crow king of america -I will need to do some research as to the actual number but very tall as i remember it to b-
- the guy was stone deaf from shot-gunning all those birds- like most of us i suppose
regards wile e

No wonder we don't have any crows left down here, with you heading them all off at the pass, Jeremy.
lol.gif

When I was a youngster, we had a few, but I haven't seen one in years.

Regards,
hm

That is a great story! I have a murder of crows that invade my back forty pretty regular. I kinda enjoy seeing them. For some reason I thought they were protected. Guess not.

That's what you call a bunch of crows, right?

Originally Posted By: CastThat is a great story! I have a murder of crows that invade my back forty pretty regular. I kinda enjoy seeing them. For some reason I thought they were protected. Guess not.

That's what you call a bunch of crows, right?

Yep, a flock of crows is also referred to as a "murder"

Originally Posted By: Wile E Coyotie- the guy was stone deaf from shot-gunning all those birds- like most of us i suppose
regards wile e

I been firing a lot of shots without hearing protection.. Kinda rusty with a shotgun.. A lot of missed shots;)

Originally Posted By: hm1996When I was a youngster, we had a few, but I haven't seen one in years.

Regards,
hm

Strange, thought these things infested every area..

Back