AR in 20 vartarg????

ilmo

I had a friend of a friend who built one. seemed like a great idea for a prairie dog gun. becuz less powder would heat up the barrel less quickly. had to drill gas opening in barrel but I don't know if it was larger or smaller than in a 223... I had questions about magazines feeding the vartarg

Anyone here have any info on 20 vartarg in an AR that they would share. It sounds like fun to me.

It's a tad short and to be done right would require some spacers in the magazine. Not worth the effort IMHO as you can always down load a 20 Practical and not have to deal with the case dimensions.

Greg

I have a 17 Fireball upper that works just fine with standard mags.. I've not loaded or fired more than 5 at a time so don't know what might happen under rapid fire, but will say this. I had a trigger malfunction with a drop in expensive trigger that dumped three rounds faster that is supposed to be allowed. Got rid of the trigger but it proved to me seating the loaded rounds to the rear of the mag caused no ill effects.

A 20 Vartarg should fair no differently

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2I have a 17 Fireball upper that works just fine with standard mags.. I've not loaded or fired more than 5 at a time so don't know what might happen under rapid fire, but will say this. I had a trigger malfunction with a drop in expensive trigger that dumped three rounds faster that is supposed to be allowed. Got rid of the trigger but it proved to me seating the loaded rounds to the rear of the mag caused no ill effects.

A 20 Vartarg should fair no differently

Who did the uuper? Or did you do it yourself?

Greg

I purchased the barrel from a man named Andy Yates. From somewhere in the North West as best I remember. I think Washington State.. Its been awhile.

So here's a thought: why don't you tell us how you really feel instead of beating around the bush?
laugh.gif

Wow. There's better ways to get your point across, than slamming someone on their opinion. Plus throwing out religious comments like that are way overboard if you ask me.

I've seen fireball chambered rifles, I think he who's name can't be said on here built them also if I remember correctly. I see no reason the 20VT wouldn't work.

Quote:seemed like a great idea for a prairie dog gun. becuz less powder would heat up the barrel less quickly.,,,Sustained high round count shooting will heat up any barrel at about the same rate...The real rub comes down to velocity being pushed through the barrel...When you start pushing velocities in the 4000+ fps, you will erode the throat quite a bit faster..

For some real world experiences in the 20 calibers, you might want to read a few threads over a the .204 Ruger website...Some of the guys over there have done a lot of experimenting with the 20 Practical, as well as the .20 VarTag

Back