Use of .204 Ruger caliber rifle for Coyotes

I have killed at least 800 coyotes with a 25gr.berger out of my 17. rem,so I think if you can shoot and use the right bullet you should have no problem killing coyotes

Thanks for sharing! Bought it mainly as a varmint gun so it will likely get a big mag scope, but always good to hear what others are using.

It all comes down to shot placement. A bad shot is bad no matter what caliber you use. Example...I took a relativley new coyote hunter with me as a "wingman" a couple weekends ago. I passed on a good shot at 150 yards to get him his 1st coyote. He was shooting a 7-08' and shot under his belly and blew his rear leg on the far side off. My 223 below the ear caused a DRT. A well placed shot from a 204 would have done the same.

Last edited:
Shoot 40 grain bullets

Get a lot of surface expansion with the lighter ones.
I've seen a 204 wound more than one coyote when shot in the shoulder

I had big exit holes sometimes with 40gr, berger and Nosler.
I really like the 35gr berger
when I used a .223 the 55gr nosler worked really good.
I first started to use the Tactical.20 about 12-15 years ago, the 33gr vmax was the only bullet I could find, very accurate, but blew up on the fur and made a 2" crater hole, then stopped, not good for coyote.
most of my shots are 350yds or less, it drops 2.5" in 300yds, so all I have to know is if the coyote is 300 or less yards and hold dead on, I like that

Last edited:
I think the .204 is the perfect coyote round if you put up your fur. Its inherently accurate, very flat trajectory, zero recoil and very fur friendly with a 35 gr Berger. You wanna reach out to 500 you can with a 39 gr Blitking. I sold my 22-250 and don't even take out my .223 anymore, Im lovin the .204. My biggest issue with it is the lack of decent brass, Im up in Canada and it all you can find is Hornady..wish you could get Lapua.

The 204 Ruger with 39 - grain Blitzking handloads is the most versatile combination I have used on victims from coyotes to PA woodchuck. Since my realization, I have parted ways with every rifle I owned in 22 caliber including the 22-250, 223, and 220 Swift. The only 17 caliber rifle I own now is the 17 WSM as I need a rimfire option in local areas. Enjoy the 204 Ruger and never look back.

I've shot a few coyotes with my .204 and none have required a second shot. IMHO the .204 is just a great caliber. Very flat and alot of fun to shoot with very little recoil. I use the 40 grain V-max over some IMR 8208 XBR for good velocities. Go calling friend

Back