Remington 700 sps problems

I have a 17FB HB that would shoot 1 1/2 groups so I took a hacksaw and cut the barrel back to 20" used a neck chamfer tool to crown it and then it shot dots less than 1/2inch. Might work.
MB

Originally Posted By: mnblaster Also in the case of a .223 chambered gun using any ammo in .556 NATO is not the best idea, the gun isn't made for it.

This is a false statement, that continues to be spread around.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: mnblaster Also in the case of a .223 chambered gun using any ammo in .556 NATO is not the best idea, the gun isn't made for it.

Please do enlighten us..........

Use the search at the top of the page and read all you like, let it soak on and read it again.

You do not honestly think that if there was any possible way this could be a problem that some moron wouldn't have lawyered up and "fixed" this.

I have a SPS Tactical .308 that I have shot multiple 2" groups at 400 yards with. 100% factory gun, and suprisingly that is with FACTORY ammunition! Gold Medal Match is what it likes so darn much.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsUse the search at the top of the page and read all you like, let it soak on and read it again.

You do not honestly think that if there was any possible way this could be a problem that some moron wouldn't have lawyered up and "fixed" this.

If you're running 5.56 ammo in a gun stamped .223 there is no lawsuit to be had; its your fault.

Originally Posted By: Tom in WIOriginally Posted By: Brad PhillipsUse the search at the top of the page and read all you like, let it soak on and read it again.

If you're running 5.56 ammo in a gun stamped .223 there is no lawsuit to be had; its your fault.

There is no difference other than the stamp.

http://ballistictools.com/articles/5.56-vs-.223-myths-and-facts.php

i used to have a SPS varmit in 223. remington specifically told me to never fire 5.56 rounds in the chamber they use when i called their tech department.

the reason 223 can be fired in 5.56 and not the other way around has to do with the chamber specs - as i understand it, it relates specifically the throat/freebore length of the chamber.

in a 5.56 chamber,the throat is significantly longer than a standard SAAMI 223 chamber offering. Which with 5.56 ammo could lead to a situation where the ogive of the bullet is jammed into the lands, causing a pressure spike and quite possibly a very unsafe situation depending on the individual chamber/ammo combo. when you put .223 rem spec ammo in a nato chamber, you just have a situation of a bit longer jump to the lands - so accuracy may suffer somewhat, but its still safe to do.

this is where the use of the WYLDE chamber often comes into play by some manufacturer's. it allows for the tighter tolerance of the 223 chamber around the body of the brass, as well as having a long enough throat to handle the projectiles commonly loaded into nato spec 5.56 ammo. However a WYLDE chambered barrel will usually be marked as 223/5.56 or some other nomenclature to signify that both are safe to use.

if your gun is only marked ".223 remington" you're probably just safer leaving the 5.56 alone. that follows a very basic rule of firearms safety - only shoot the ammo that matches the caliber markings on your firearm.

Or just learn your rifle, learn loading principals, learn what you are talking about.

HINT- Most all hand loaders exceede Max Loads in the books too! Oh the horror!

If you were to cast your 223 Remington chamber, you will find it is a Wylde or similar chamber. (Provided it has been made in the past 40 years) It's all about the leade.

Even some faster factory loads exceede 5.56 NATO requirements. Also, NATO pressure test are conducted differently from SAAMI.

Also, look at any reamer manufacturer's reamer list. There are dozens of variations on the 223/5.56 family.

There is no universal "don't shoot 5.56 ammo in a 223 chamber" answer that can be conclusively supported with data.

Like I said, learn some more versus parroting what some lawyer at a gun company told you.

BS, the throat is longer to facilitate more rounds down range at full auto before you have a problem with build up. Any ammo you are feeding through a AR-15 magazine is to short to "jamb" the lands.

I have burned up a couple of SAW barrels, that is more 223 than most will ever shoot.

I wouldn't be too worried about shooting 5.56 ammo through a rifle chambered in 223 Rem, but I certainly wouldn't expect much in the way of accuracy with normal off the shelf 5.56 Blaster Pack ammunition.

Lets see, sps 308 two of them shoots 3/4", did not touch a thing but hand loads.

223 SS sps, shoots 3/8" with hand loads-old rem walnut stocks bedded and bbl freefloated

243 sps shoots 5/8" with hand loads-old rem walnut stock same as above.

Adusted the triggers to 3 lbs, had on good 4-16 scopes, bushnell 4200 in 4x-16x

Those plastic stocks in some cases leave a lot to be desired.

I saw a guy recently put on a plastic stock from a varmint rifle and it shot great on the sporter, instant freefloat! The rifle did not look bad either! He happens to do this on all his cheap remingtons!

Phil, I have one of these that I will give you if you pay the postage!

Originally Posted By: Phil_SchmidtAnyone else who owns this model having problems? A budy bought one brand new and it's only worth about a 2 inch group at 100yds. Tried a different scope, Different shooters, Different ammo, Handloads and factory. Thing simply wont shoot.

Not looking for other potential problems here as we've tried everything.

Just wondering if there are any other SPS owners out there who are getting good groups, Or if this has been a consistant issue with that model.

The SPS isn't the greatest in stock form. I know I own one that I purchased a couple years ago. Mine is a SPS VS Stainless in .22-250. Out of the box it shot 1" groups with an occasional flier. The stock is junk. I ordered a B&C Medalist the Monday after I picked it up. Try as I could I could not get the Xmark to break at anything under 5 lbs, next came the Timney. It will now do under 1/2" at 100 yards If I do my part.

The stock and trigger are the handicap on these rifles. I've heard some claim some pretty good groups with an SPS, I couldn't do it with mine. Even If I shot 3 bullets into a nice group the last 2 would open up.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760You guys realize the OP was in 2010?

Well still valid.... although I;d assume they changed a few things since then :p I did not notice! lol

Originally Posted By: mnblasterOriginally Posted By: Brad PhillipsOriginally Posted By: mnblaster Also in the case of a .223 chambered gun using any ammo in .556 NATO is not the best idea, the gun isn't made for it.

yep, spread by the experts

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content...emington-rounds

About the Author

John McAdams

John McAdams was born and raised in Texas where he started hunting at an early age with his father and grandfather. John has hunted big game all over the United States as well as in Namibia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. He also served in the United States Army and has combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. John's passion for the outdoors led him to create The Big Game Hunting Blog in November 2012. Connect with John on Facebook or follow him on Twitter @TheBigGameHunt.

he really does not sound like an "expert" on the subject at hand.

Back