Digital NV (pulsar/photon/Xsight)

Originally Posted By: BoogerredDefinitely. Especially at a distance. The 6.5 doesn't seem to be as grainy. 4.6 is fine; but 6.5 is noticeably better.

That is encouraging to hear since clarity and graininess have been my main complaint with the Photon 4.6x.

If I weren't so web/technology challenged I'd upload a video of each. I have recorded both with a sightmark cvr650 mini DVR recorder. The DVR works well too, but I have a couple of hangups on it:

1) its not recoil rated, so I can't mount it to my scope/gun. (Fixed that by attaching a picatinny rail to my belt. Makes it fairly easy to access the control buttons). It might work mounted on a .22LR, but it does not on a .30 rar.

2) i feel like the blue power indicator light washes light on my location, even though it's small. (For that I just covered it with blue painters tape. I can still see it if I look for it, but it diminishes the glow.)

6mm06 is the Master of Video here and can tell you exactly what you need to do once you upload your videos to youtube.

Boogerred,

Not sure what you know about using the DVR recorder and your computer.

Some questions to better understand:

(1) Do you know how to get the video from your DVR recorder to the computer?

(2) Do you know how to upload videos to YouTube?

Just give us an idea of what you can do or what you don't understand and we can go from there.

I know we all would really like to see the difference between the two scopes.

I can get them on my computer fine, but after that I'm stuck, other than email. I've never uploaded to YouTube, so that'd be my challenge.

OK, you will need to open up a YouTube account if you don't already have one. Then, go to YouTube, sign in with user name and password, then click UPLOAD. That will give you a drop-down box that will allow you to find your video. For instance, you may have your video saved to Desktop, or in a file, or in documents etc. Go to where you have the video saved and click on it.

Once you click on the video, it begins to upload. YouTube will have a box appear for information about your video. You can give it a title, maybe something like Photon 4.6 vs Photon 6.5 or your choosing, then give a description of what you are doing in the video. You also have a box for tags. The tags are to help guide people to your video. Possible tags might be things like Photon 4.6, Photon 6.5, Digital Night Vision, Night Vision, Rifle Scopes, Hunting etc.

You will also have an opportunity to choose from three or four different photos taken from your video to act as your post photo in YouTube, so click the one you like best.

You will notice in the upper left of the upload box, a URL address that says something to the effect that "your video can be obtained here" or something similar. Copy and paste that URL into a Word document and save it for the time being just so you can locate your video in YouTube.

Once the video is completely uploaded, you need to click a tab that says something like Publish your video, or accept or something like that. You do that to finalize the upload. I can't remember which one it says at the moment.

Now, if I recall correctly, it will say something like "go to your upload" which will take you to the YouTube page where you upload is. The first saved URL can be used if you lose you place or have trouble fining your video.

Once you go to your video within YouTube, there will be a new URL at the top of the page, a longer one and that is the one you need to keep for future reference, not the first one.

Then, when you make a post in Predator Masters, you can copy and paste the YouTube URL within the body of your post where people can click on it and it will take them to your video, and you can also put a small TV screen inside the body of your Predator Masters post, but lets get to that later.

The main thing right now is to get the video uploaded into YouTube and have the URL address of where to find it. Once that's done then we will discuss how to do the TV post within your Predator Masters post.

Give this a try and see how it goes. It's actually pretty easy and once you have done one then it's all down hill from there.

I'll agree with most here. I have the 4.6 and the Xsight 3-12 and the 850LR. The 4.6 is superior to the xsight at night. The Xsight excels in the daytime for videoing what you're hunting. The 850 outshines both at night but at 4 times the cost and it has a built in laser range finder. All that being said I have a HD38A thermal monocular for scanning and am upgrading the XD50A scope for hunting. This will allow me to move into the woods a bit instead of trying to call coyotes out into the fields at night. I've also found the HD38A useful in the daytime during other forms of hunting.

Back