Any reason why no company put the 20 prac into production

dan158

Just wondering if it is because someone might round a 223 into the chamber... I think that would be a hot selling chambering if was put in to production.. How many different 17s are out there in production?? Got way more than enough companies with 223 brass being pumped out.. Anyone know why no company jumped on this caliber??? Thanks. Dan

Originally Posted By: dan158Just wondering if it is because someone might round a 223 into the chamber... I think that would be a hot selling chambering if was put in to production.. How many different 17s are out there in production?? Got way more than enough companies with 223 brass being pumped out.. Anyone know why no company jumped on this caliber??? Thanks. Dan

Probably because most big outfits don't want to chance money on a non-SAAMI set up. It also would be head on with the 204 Ruger that is definitely an industry darling. At least the Tactical is commercially loaded but you aren't seeing any high volume production by any mainstream guys.

BTW you can't seat a 223 in a 20 Practical chamber. It just isn't going to happen. I've tried it in mine just for grins. You can't seat a 6X45 in a 223 either and the difference is far greater in the 223/20 combo. Nor can you seat a 25X45 in a 6X45. I guess you could keep slamming them but properly built ammunition isn't going to fit.

Greg

Last edited:
I'm going to build a 20 Practical AR as opposed to a 204 Ruger AR. The fact that .223/5.56 brass is readily available, and the brass conversion is much simpler than converting the 20 Tactical.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FredMcIntireI'm going to build a 20 Practical AR as opposed to a 204 Ruger AR. The fact that .223/5.56 brass is readily available, and the brass conversion is much simpler than converting the 20 Tactical.
smile.gif

You won't regret your choice. One of the easiest and most accurate I load for and I have all three.

Greg

Quote:probably because most big outfits don't want to chance money on a non-SAAMI set up. It also would be head on with the 204 Ruger that is definitely an industry darling. I think that nails it down.

Another thing too is that they make a bunch selling brass that is unique to their creation with their name on it. If they create something chambered such that you can just neck down $.02 223 Rem brass with common dies, they sell no brass. But I think one cartridge in each "performance slot" is as much as the American shooting public will generally support...sometimes not even that.

Originally Posted By: Mike BAnother thing too is that they make a bunch selling brass that is unique to their creation with their name on it. If they create something chambered such that you can just neck down $.02 223 Rem brass with common dies, they sell no brass. But I think one cartridge in each "performance slot" is as much as the American shooting public will generally support...sometimes not even that.

I think the 17-223 was a good example of that. H&R brought out the rifles before there was any commercial ammunition available and then Big Green jumped in with their version. I think the original is a better deal though I own both.

For the 25X45 SHARPS to be SAAMI'D was a real eye opener to me. Getting Federal to run ammunition was a smart move. I don't care what a headstamp reads but many do.

Greg

Back