Got in 3 stands before the branding started!

derbyacresbob

This morning I was going out to help a rancher and his family brand right at 80 calves. They wanted me there at 9:00 am so I asked if I could do some calling before the branding started and the rancher said no problem.

I got out there early enough that I could take my time and still wait for about 10 minutes for it to get light enough to shoot.

I was laying prone with my 243 Win with my Fury about 50 yards in front of me. I started out with Female Coyote Yodel Howl for about 1 minute and then muted the Fury.

I waited about 3 or 4 minutes and played Female Coyote Sore Howls for about 1-1/2 minutes and then muted the Fury. I waited another 3 or 4 minutes and started the Sore Howl sound again.

I let it play for over a minute and them I heard a male coyote start challenging my Fury. This male coyote was back behind me and to my left.

There was a small hill or rise behind me and when I looked back there I saw a coyote go over the sky line of the small hill going away from me.

I thought that coyote was the one doing the challenge barks but then I heard the male coyote again and it was down lower and closer to me, so there was two coyotes.

I finally spotted the male coyote that was barking towards me, he was right at 100 yards away. My 243 Win put the coyote down hard.
IMG_0016.jpg

This coyote had a small white tip on it's tail.

The next stand I didn't hear or see a thing.

The third stand I went to was good to me about two months ago so I thought I would try it again because it was on my way to the corrals I needed to be at, at 9:00 am.

I was laying in an old ranch road with my Fury about 40 yards away and a little down hill and to my left from where I was laying prone in the road.

I started out with Female Yodel Howls again and muted the sound and then went to Female Coyote Sore Howls again. The third time that I went back to playing Sore Howls after having the Fury muted for 2 to 4 minutes I saw a light colored coyote climb out of the canyon bottom about 300 yards away down below me.

This coyote was not in a hurry so I grabbed my camera that was laying next to me and took some pictures.

IMG_0021.jpg

The coyote stopped when it was about 200 yards away so I hit my #3 pre-set sound Vole Squeaks on volume 20. The coyote started heading my way again.
IMG_0027%20-%20Copy.jpg

When the coyote stopped at about 100 yards away I figured it was time to quit playing with my camera.

IMG_0038.jpg

In the above picture you can see a little light colored horizontal spot just to the right of my rifle scope, that is the male coyote.This coyote came out of that canyon right in the direction my rifle is pointing. On the left side of this picture you can see the same road I was laying on but about 500 to 600 yards farther away.

IMG_0045.jpg

After we got done with the branding I tried two more stands but didn't see a thing. It was 79 degrees yesterday and 76 degrees today. Not ideal February calling weather.

The Fem Coy Sore Howls sound is a good one!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, really don't remember Kern Co. Being that beautiful? When I was just a youngster, remember going to lake Isabella and the Kern river. Congrats on your kill!

Back