A llittle Hog info Oklahoma.. ODW....

Predburner

Commissioners created a Feral Hog Subcommittee after viewing a presentation about feral hogs in Oklahoma and surrounding states by Jeff Pennington, central region supervisor in the Wildlife Division.
Feral hogs are now found in nearly every county of Oklahoma and are posing problems for farmers and wildlife, he said. Primary responsibility for feral hogs lies with the Agriculture Department, as these animals are not considered wildlife. Feral hog populations have been increasing in Oklahoma in the past few decades. Pennington said in order to prevent feral hog population growth, 65 percent of the population would need to be eradicated annually. He said research indicates that hunting is ineffective for long-term population reduction. The most efficient forms of control are trapping and aerial gunning, he said.
Bill Hale, assistant chief of law enforcement, outlined Wildlife Department regulations that are in place concerning feral hogs. Oklahoma requires feral hog hunters to possess a state hunting license when hunting on public land, but no license is required for shooting hogs on private land. Also, removing any feral hog alive from a wildlife management area is prohibited.
Wildlife Department Assistant Director Wade Free said several proposals concerning feral hogs are likely to come before the State Legislature this session. Among those, Senate Bill 1451 would designate the Wildlife Department responsible for feral hog issues in Oklahoma.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75^^^I Agree, but I like the idea of getting some heli-hog hunts going in Oklahoma!!

I was thinking they already said it was legal to hunt hogs from a helicopter in Oklahoma?

I believe that is correct, but I haven't really heard of any actively hunting that way, other than the predator control agents on Yotes. Maybe they shoot hogs as well in the same manner for their job.

Yeah, wish they would legalize night predator hunting.. Like all the other states.. Only state that sells 3.2 beer..

We had a few hogs here at one time but someone was paid to come wipe them out in a helicopter. He must've done a good job because they aren't here anymore.

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762Yeah, wish they would legalize night predator hunting.. Like all the other states.. Only state that sells 3.2 beer..

We're so behind the times on some things . It's embarrassing .

On a side note, I gotta get that patch in your avatar.

The guys in Texas appear to be a bit out of my price range

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.helihunter.com/book-a-hunt.html#year=2016&month=2&day=9&view=month
Hunting Prices2 hour hunt - $6000 no longer available
4 hour hunt - $11000 no longer available
6 hour full day hunt (6-8 gunners) - $15000
Included With Purchase•Firearm: Tac-12 A1 tactical 12 gauge w/ EOtech holographic sights + additional 10 rd magazines
•Ammunition: 00 Buckshot
•Fuel: 100 Octane LL
--------------------------------------------------------------
For ten days of hunting you could buy your own helicopter
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/airc...II/2172437.html

I was about to chime in here with some bad news and that is the prices of Hunting from copters. I have never found it cheaper than 3,000.00 dollars. Some outfits require that you attend their class on how to. And they charge a pretty price for this too. Some will provide the actual gun and then require that their ammunition be used to prevent mishaps. Some require Brass catchers some do not. Depends on which type of Helicopter is used.
Many people that did this long ago,from copter, or from an airplane, used the shotgun with slugs and or buckshot. Now many are using the AR in 5.56,,, Either way, would work fine for me. But here in Texas the land Owner has to request the hogs be eradicated and then he works with the pilot or company to resolve this, so Sometimes the land owner has his hand extended to receive some benefits beyond having the hogs exterminated. Yeeehaw You got to be rich to play that sport.
I do understand that it costs on average 150.00 per hour just for fuel, and of course Insurance is steep. The Pilot almost has to have Military experience in order to get a license.
It's a catch 22 situation that the Pilot has to have so many hours in order to get insurance and he has to have insurance before he can fly. Talk about screwed up,,, The best way is to get your experience in the Military then get out and go for the private license. and since 911 things are real tight now. Otherwise it's for rich folks all the way around.

What I have a hard time understanding is so many ranchers/land owners are complaining about all the damage the feral hogs are doing but still want to charge you to kill them. Evidently they aren't that big a problem.

They fly copters around where I live at least 2 times a year and wipe them out and we have people that want to by them to put on fenced it hunting ranches. Hard to trap the hogs when they kill most of them.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhat I have a hard time understanding is so many ranchers/land owners are complaining about all the damage the feral hogs are doing but still want to charge you to kill them. Evidently they aren't that big a problem.

Ain't that the truth

In Kansas, we can hunt at night but we are not allowed to use lights or thermal or night vision. I would love to be able to hunt at night, but then I would have to save up for night vision toys.

Originally Posted By: CountryWildcatIn Kansas, we can hunt at night but we are not allowed to use lights or thermal or night vision. I would love to be able to hunt at night, but then I would have to save up for night vision toys. So the States to the North and South of us can night hunt legally but we can't? That is so ridiculous. I guess I shouldn't expect much. We have a season on jackrabbits too which is a joke in itself.

Back