Best AR hunting trigger

varminter .223

I have probed around and read some articles but though I would take a lazy route and see if you guys have any input on a quality trigger for my stag super varminter. It is around 6 pounds now and after shooting 1.5lbs. and lower triggers in my bolt guns I can't hack it any longer.

This comes up almost weekly here so there are a lot of threads to read using the search function. With that said, my personal favorites in order:

1) Elftmann
2)AR Gold

So many options out there, what's your budget? preference to single stage or two stage?

My favorite is a Geissele Hispeed DMR and I've tried few different ones. The single stage ones I've tried all have a bit of creep in them. It's only a small amount, but if you're used to a nice single stage bolt trigger you might be disappointed.

I'm trying out the new Trigger Tech AR trigger, so far so good. It's similar to the AR Gold trigger on that the first stage is extremely light and not noticeable and the whole pull weight is on the second stage. It basically feels like a single stage trigger. It has no creep, is and adjustable down to 2lbs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SledgeThis comes up almost weekly here so there are a lot of threads to read using the search function. With that said, my personal favorite....

>>> BTE

I did a search but it seemed to pull up every thread with trigger in it, hence my repetitive thread. I guess there maybe a way to refine the search but as stated I took the lazy way. Anyway cost is not really an issue, I just want a light reliable trigger. That BTE looks pretty decent. I am guessing they don't have too many below 3 lbs. to prevent some "my gun went full auto" law suits????

Last edited:
ALG Defense ACT trigger is what I have in my newly built 300 Blackout. As stated above, for the $ it's tough to beat for a hunting trigger.

Look at the lucas trigger from Predator Technology Group a sponsor here. Dang fine triggers. I have one on my go to coyote rig and couldn't be happier.

I have a BTE single stage trigger on my AR. That's the best thing I could have ever done for that rifle. It made a world of difference.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I did a search but it seemed to pull up every thread with trigger in it, hence my repetitive thread. I guess there maybe a way to refine the search but as stated I took the lazy way. Anyway cost is not really an issue, I just want a light reliable trigger. That BTE looks pretty decent. I am guessing they don't have too many below 3 lbs. to prevent some "my gun went full auto" law suits????

BTE's are excellent. They have less creep than my Timneys and break crisply. I own four of them. You aren't going to find a drop in that runs much below 3 pounds from what I have seen.

On the two stages the ideal set up is the heavy work is done on the first stage and the second stage let off is lighter. My Giselle that I shoot in matches has a 6 ounce second stage but about 3 pounds on the first stage.

Greg

I put one of the Lucas 3lb triggers from PTG in my wife's rifle, very happy with it.Cost less than my Timney but feels every bit as good & in fact breaks about 1 lb lighter.

I personally have each of these triggers in my Different AR platform rifles
2 - AR Gold triggers
1 - Timney
1 - POF Single stage
2 - Geisslele SD-3G
1 - ALG Defense
1- Daniel Defense trigger that was then tuned by a professional gunsmith
It will come down to wether you prefer single stage or two stage, a flat trigger or curved, a thin or wide trigger shoe and then how much you are willing to spend. I would suggest trying as many different triggers as you can before purchasing as every keyboard commando likes something and touts it as the best. If you get the opportunity to try a few first to narrow down your likes and dislikes it will make it much easier for you. Once you go with a good trigger you will become a trigger snob though and pretty soon any gun with a factory trigger will seem like crap and you will be spending hundreds on triggers for each and every gun you own. I know from experience. I do not own but one gun with a factory trigger. I will say that some of the ones I have I would not buy again if given the choice. Others I will continue to use and buy more once funds allow. Personally I like the two stage design but without too much pre travel. So I like both the AR Gold and the SD-3G triggers. If AR Gold would make a flat trigger bar I would buy that for sure. A lot of people think that a good trigger will make them shoot better when truly if your fundamentals are bad it does not matter what kind or trigger you use.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84My favorite is a Geissele Hispeed DMR

This is what I use, pricey but worth it. I'd buy another.

The Larue MBT is right up there too, super light clean break and its got a wider trigger face which I like. You can get one now for $125.

Have had a few different ones and currently run a timney two stage in my 18" and a CMC two stage in my 14.5. The timney is heavier but less travel over all but the cmc is very smooth and considerably lighter than the timney. I ran the timney comp 3lb single stage for a while and liked it. The larue mbt that my buddy has in one of his JP's is a very nice trigger as well. There are so many good triggers out there it's hard to decide, I understand your dilemma haha, I will be trying some geissele offerings soon

people are getting way too complicated. for a hunting trigger a RRA VARMINT. YES there are 2 versions of RRA triggers the varmint model is lighter. If you want a good hunting trigger that will not break the bank get that one.

if you are a trigger snob, ie like me and are spoiled by bolt gun triggers. I recommend the geissele high speed match rifle. its their trigger that is capable of the lowest weight. mine is set to 2# take up with a 1# second stage. that is personally the lightest I would want. It however does take a bit of tuning. I also think you need to shoot it for quite a bit then readjust the sear engagement again so you maintain the clean break of the trigger.

straight trigger levers are for competition as well as anything designed for 3 gun, geissele explains why a 3 gun trigger is not what you want for precision work.

Originally Posted By: FishnHunt9Any thoughts or experience with the velocity triggers? I was thinking about purchasing one.

I just put one of the Velocity 3 lb single stage triggers on my new coyote gun. It feels really good honestly. I've shot my friends ar's with timmenys, and geisseles and the velocity is pretty [beeep] close. In fact unless you are a trigger whore, you'd have a hard time telling the difference between them. For the price, velocity is a very nice trigger.

I try to put a Geissele in every AR platform that is worthy of wearing one. Great triggers would be an understatement. My go to is just the SSA-E

Back