Just finished my first AR-15

PowellSixO

I've been wanting to get an AR-15 for a long time. I finally had some extra money set aside, and decided with all the political BS going on, now was the time. The first thing I did was order a few forged lower receivers (the others are for my dad and brothers) from PSA. I then started to look into which caliber would suite me the best, for coyote hunting. In my coyote rifles, I've always wanted fast and flat. I feel that it takes some of the guess work out of things, when you may only have seconds to take a shot. After my research, I decided a 204 ruger was the caliber for me. One of my friends introduced me to Scott at Specialized Dynamics, and I placed my order. He built me a complete upper, with a 20" SS barrel chambered in 204. He also sold me a velocity single stage 3lb trigger, lower receiver parts kits, and an A2 buttstock kit. While I was waiting, I did a little research on scope mounts, and scopes. I ended up settling on an Aero Precision scope mount, and a 4-12x40 Vortex Viper scope. I also went ahead and ordered a couple of 20 round Pmags. Since I reload for all of my rifles, I went ahead and bought all of the necessary items to reload for the 204 as well. I bought some Reloader 10x Powder, 32 Gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic Tip Bullets, Hornady 204 Ruger Brass, CCI BR-4 Primers, and RCBS FL Die Set. To top it all of, I also bout a nice tactical soft case to carry the rifle in. After it was all said in done, I FORGOT to order a pistol grip. Lol.

Since 99% of the parts were finally in my possesion last night, I decided I couldn't wait anymore and decided to assemble the rifle. I feel like it turned out pretty good. The pistol grip should be in shortly. Haha. But any ways, here are a few pictures of it so far. More to come.

I have assembled a bunch, some for me, and some for friends. I currently have 5 AR-15s, and one LR-308. It is a disease.
I am not sure what the next one will be, but I am sure there will be a next one.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Congratulations looks good but you may find that the 204 does not like Pmags if so buy some LANCER mags they work great in the 204.

Thanks everyone. I'll keep the Lancer mags in mind if the Pmags don't work right. I sat down last night to start reloading some work up loads for the 204. I got 50 pieces of brass prepped, and primed. Then I got side tracked. I'll powder them, and put some lead in them tonight. Hoping to shoot it tomorrow after work.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlWay too clean,,, your spouse tidy up for you ???
lol.gif

Lol. You should have seen it before I cleaned up. I always like a clean working area when I reload. My buddies that I reload with found out I'm going to be reloading tonight, so they decided it's a good night for them to come over as well. We're going to be busy reloading, my 204's, my buddies 243, my other buddies 22-250, and another buddies 308. At least I'll get some free beer out of the deal. Haha.

I ran into issues with my Pmag, just like you guys called it. I found this old thread though, on how to modify a Pmag for the 204. I tried it just for grins, and it worked like a charm. I posted the link below. All it took was a little elbow grease and a file. I'm not sure what the Pmags are made of, but wow. I was surprised at how long it took to file the material down.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...mp;#Post2930819

Well I made it to the range this weekend, and this rifle is a shooter. Sorry for the sh!tty target. I was in a rush, and forgot targets at the house. So I improvised, and used a cardboard box out of a trash can at the range. Yes I went dumpster diving. Lol. I pulled the upper, and the BCG and the CH, and I bore sited the upper the best I could. I put the rifle back together, and put 3 bullets down range. I could see my first shot, and my second shot, but not my third shot. My first group to my surprise was pretty darn close to my mark (at 100 yards too), and I had 2 holes on top of each other, and the other not far away. I dialed over and up with my scope, and I was exactly where I wanted to be on my next group. I was very pleased with how the rifle shot, and ejected the spent cases. Everything went very smooth. I wish I would have brought my calipers and what not, so I could have measured my groups. I'm calling them roughly 3/8" groups. But I'll be out again to get more information. I kinda took a chance on this load (which I usually wouldn't do), only because I've been so busy lately with work. I've talked to a few people that had given me their most accurate round information, and I loaded several rounds with their recommendations (with a lower charge of course). I ended up getting lucky, in the fact that it absolutely worked. Sometimes you get lucky I guess. It turns out that 24 grs of Reloader 10x, CCI BR-4 Primers, and Nosler 32gr bullets loaded to 2.260" COAL is a shooter out of this rifle. There were absolutely no signs of high pressure either. I did run the load over my chrony, and I was averaging 3725 fps. I'll have to shoot some more over it later, and get my SD and ES. But for now I feel like I have a very good start, and I couldn't be happier with this gun. After we sited my rifle in, we decided to do a few stands to see if I could get a coyote with the new rifle. It turns out my luck was up for the day, and the only coyote we saw came in on my buddies side. Haha. But we did get one. We were sitting up against a tree, and heard something coming up from behind us. We figured it was another bird getting pissed at us, but we were wrong. A few seconds later, this young coyote was staring my buddy in the eyes at about 5 feet. If it would have turned and left the way it came in, it would have lived to see another day. But it decided to run straight away from my buddy, and he smacked him down at less than 24 yards.

(204 loads, as well as some of my 243 loads)

That's nice, I'm building a 204 right now. What diameter is your barrel? I am also going with a 20" HB. Starting with a blank that needs to be turned, extension installed and chamber reamed. Both the bbl and reamer should be here next week.
My son got me a stripped lower for my birthday laser etched with the Spartan helmet. So I was committed to build something.

What's wrong with that target? I try to keep my tool box stocked with with cardboard and masking tape just in case i don't print off or take targets with me.

Nice build. I use the 204 Ruger on coyotes out of 24 inch barrel. Bullet placement is vital and a challenge at times. Overall, it is a great caliber.

looks good. my 24" DPMS LR204 upper likes the 32gr vmax at just north of 3700 FPS. groups are roughly the same as yours. I just happen to be using varget and CCI400's.

its a couple hundred FPS below factory ammo, but at 3700 fps i'm sure the bullet will be sufficiently explosive to do what it needs to
smile.gif

congrats on your load success.

Back