How often do you clean your suppressed AR?

MPFD

I had a buddy tell me that cans make so much back pressure, it makes your chamber dirty. He said it needs cleaned everytime you shoot it. Is this what you guys with cans do? Please tell me what you guys experiences on cleanliness are with suppressor's on auto's.

The chamber does turn dark after a few suppressed rounds. I clean mine after Im done shooting each time, especially the chamber, the rest of the insides gets a wipe down. When the top 5 rounds in the magazine are all black you know everything else is covered.
A pal I call w/hardly ever cleans his & had had no issues that a fast chamber wipe cant fix.

I don't clean the rifle during the hunting season because of first round being different. But after Hunting season it gets a real real good cleaning. ( NO I was not talking about the first round pop )
Hunting, I shoot a lot less, than if I was going to Range each week or shooting competition. If I am to shoot competition then yes it gets cleaned after each time.

A small part of this depends upon which powder you use, since some shoot cleaner than others. We were using AA#2 with 45 ACP suppressed full auto and it was dirty WST is very clean. The results were different. Vhitavouri is usually cleaner, but pricey.

Using an adjustable gas block can help with this to a point, but tuning how much gas actually makes it to the chamber. But, it will never cut it completely, otherwise, you have a single shot.

3-400 rounds. it does get dirty but its not bad enough to cause malfunctions.

bolt gets disassembled and thrown into the ultrasonic cleaner, bore and chamber get cleaned with Wipeout bore cleaner.

the upper gets a good scrubbin where the bolt rides.

working on getting my piston tuned on the 300blk. hoping that once thats tuned itll be a [beeep] of alot cleaner.

I only shoot suppressed rifles anymore. Everything from 22lr up to my 300 win mag and everything In between. Semi autos and bolt guns. On my suppressed AR's I don't clean them anymore often than I did before. Yes they look black from extra gas coming back into the chamber unless you tune an adjustable gas block but as far as carbon fouling I don't seem to have any more than before on all of the known problem areas of the bolt. I do however add oil more often I between cleanings than without the suppressor just don't like the look of a dry bcg I guess. Never had an issue. I have shot two uppers that have gone 500 and 800 rounds suppressed without anything more than a little extra oil between disassembly and cleaning just to see how long I could go. I still was not having issues but cleaned them for a competition shoot. Hope that helps. I will say all of my 22lr guns running a can get cleaned often though.

Back