BEST GLASS at $1200

mbaysinger89

Subjectively what is your choice for the best GLASS at the $1200 price point?

This scope will be semi temporary. Probably a couple years before it replaces a lesser scope on a different rifle, but this is what I can afford right now. I don't care about turrets, I don't plan on using this rifle in a situation they are needed.

My criteria are:
Max minimum power 4. Maybe 5 for the right scope.

Max power 16-20ish. More than that is out of the price range.

An illuminated reticle would be a nice thing to add.

Maximum objective 50mm.

And the vx6 is out. I have one. Its a nice scope for sure. From 3-9 or 10x. It's tough with good tracking, but spongy turrets (which isn't an issue because I don't use them for coyotes). And for what it is, I think it should be a few hundred dollars less. I do like mine, just not worth twice as much as the Bushnell 6500 it replaced.

What I'm looking for is PICTURE QUALITY/GOOD GLASS, with maybe an illuminated reticle until I save up enough for a March 3-24x52.

I'd look towards the Vortex optics if I were you. Save yourself couple hundred or so and get a Viper PST. Or a Razor LH if you don't want the turrets on the PST. I'm not extremely well versed on everything out there, but for all intensive purposes I love the vortex optics.

The new Nightforce 4-14 FFP SHV fits your requirements and worth a look

link

Or Bushnell LRHS, but I don't believe it's illuminated

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84The new Nightforce 4-14 FFP SHV fits your requirements and worth a look

link

Or Bushnell LRHS, but I don't believe it's illuminated

These and add the Burris XTR II.

Going to a Vortex would be like going from a Ferarri to a Fiat.

If your not going to be twisting turrets I'd be looking at European glass

Last edited:
I wouldn't look twice at the SHV. That's a hunk of metal with the Nighforce name on it. I bought the VX-6 that was $300 more. I was disappointed in that SHV, big time.

If you don't need turrets, have a look at Kahles. They make some wonderful glass.

I also sighted in a rifle for a friend recently that had a Swarovski Z3 on it. It was very, very nice.

I had a VX-6 3x18x50 with firedot. It is a real good scope. Sold it to a buddy and he is very happy with it.

Still have a 4x14x56 SHV with the lighted MOAR reticule. I like it better.
Think everyone's eyes are a little different so look thru as many as you can.

Have a couple of the NF ATAKR's, a couple of Premiers and a US optics, but for the money that SHV is hard to beat to my eye anyway.
Reticule holds with the SHV are spot on and have had no issues when twisting the knobs.
Good luck with your choice.

I have a v6i. Nice scope not utterly impressed by the glass on the top end. Dads shv fairly easily is better glass. Being that I could almost get a z5 for the same money I don't buy another one.

I haven't looked at kahles yet. I'd already have a sightron siii if they made a 4-16. And il check out the Burris. Pretty tempted to get a z3 4-12 and put it on the 22 mag later.

Originally Posted By: GhostmanGoing to a Vortex would be like going from a Ferarri to a Fiat.

If your not going to be twisting turrets I'd be looking at European glass

Exactly. I don't think vortex glass is very good until you're looking at their top tier stuff. I just ordered an xtr II but that's not really the type you're looking for. Ziess might be my choice in that price range for a non turret scope. Their glass has always looked great for me in scopes and conquest HD binos. High end glass is very subjective to each individual.

Swfa SSHD 5-20. Tough as nails. Excellent glass.

I have the illuminated model. Got it on the intro offering when they first hit the market. Not disappointed at all.

Is anybody running the scr reticle? I can get a Steiner ffp with scr but am a little nervous it will be too thin at low power for hunting purposes

i'm always a big yes vote for the swfa HD line. even the cheapos they make deserve a round of applause for being as tough as they come. I couldn't kill mine with the two 50BMG's it rode.

Back