Best fur protecting caliber?

i can absolutely guarantee that a 223 55gr vmax in the kill zone of a coyote at nearly any distance will kill it, and kill it quickly. but they are a little hard on cats and fox.
i have taken coyotes from 30 yards to 612 yards, chest shots ALWAYS result in a quick kill.

personally i am setting up a 17-223 for use on cats and fox, but also coyotes.

What MoYoBomber said....look into the .204 Caliber,I'm shooting a CZ .204 "Varmint" Bolt-action Rifle using the same 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets that put small entrance hole and NO exit holes.

Other Fur Friendly Calibers would be the .17 Hornady Hornet,.17 Remington,.17 Fireball and the .22 Hornet would probably work also.....another Caliber that interest Me would be the .20 VarTarg Caliber which would be a fast round and easy on the hides!

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterWhat MoYoBomber said....look into the .204 Caliber,I'm shooting a CZ .204 "Varmint" Bolt-action Rifle using the same 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets that put small entrance hole and NO exit holes.

Shoot any fox or cats with that?

I would think the 20-223 would be a great choice with a 39gr Sierra Blitzking @ 3550 fps. It'll reach 400y with authority...and the problem with that is it likely will tear up a fox or bobcat up close.

Originally Posted By: DoogerOriginally Posted By: GTOHunterWhat MoYoBomber said....look into the .204 Caliber,I'm shooting a CZ .204 "Varmint" Bolt-action Rifle using the same 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets that put small entrance hole and NO exit holes.

Shoot any fox or cats with that?
If you want to save foxes or cats with a 204 run the 32 grain Hornady, wont even shoot through a thin feral cat. Sierra 32 may also be a good fur bullet but cannot speak from experience.

For targeting fox and bobcats I will use my 17 Ackley hornet and either 21 grain Kindler bullets or the 20 grain Vmax. For Coyotes I use my 17 Tactical with either 27 or 30 grain Kindler Gold bullets. These have been the most effective, efficient and fur friendly setups to date for me. I also really loved the Berger 25 grain Match(target) bullet too until Berger stopped making them.

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
Back