MN - Flat terrain advise?

J-Bulz

Anyone have any tips on how you get into your hunting areas when there isn’t really a place to hide your truck or how you walk into your areas when there’s no way to "sneak in"?

Most of my areas are completely flat and the only place to park the truck is by a farm and then walk the gravel road to a fence line to a woods or a part of the fence line that has some brush for cover.

What I would give to live in an area with rolling hills!

Last edited:
By yourself the long walks in Will reduce the number of sets made in a day. If with a partner you can take turns drop and leave or if the roads are good use a small car. With the truck whenever possible I park in the ditch facing the truck away from the area I am working.

We park in ditches, along tree lines along roads, or in the wide open. I have called in yotes with my pickup parked just a few hundred yards away on the side of a gravel road. I know some guys will walk in a mile, but that is just not possible for me.( foot Issues) I ride my ATV as much as possible, it is quick to hide along a tree line or in the bottom of a ditch.

J Bulz , you should have more consistent wind conditions in the flat country. You just have to make lemonade if you have lemons ! Keep at it .

Ya the wind is more consistent in the flat country, 40+ MPH all the time! Here in the Red River Valley the wind never stops blowing.

If your going to hunt in 40 kt winds you better get dang firmilar with a Mil Dot reticule as wind drift becomes a huge factor to hit anything very far out .............. 25kt crosswind is a couple of Mil Dots at 300yds......... its a lot of hold off???

Do you mean if its not blowing it is sucking ? When I lived east of the divide there was whitecaps in the toilet in my basement ! That's why we are hunters not Bridge players ,we like it !

Sorry for the slow reply. I went on an ice fishing trip and have been busy since I got back.

Just wanted to say thanks for the input. I pretty much do all of the tactics mentioned above, I was mainly curious if there was something I was missing.

Thanks again!

Back