40 reasons I'll never attend the WTBBC.

I see. I believe it can be done no doubt. I actually was in West Texas this weekend huntin. I saw 6 coyotes before we even got to where we were going to hunt. One mangie coyote by Abilene that was in the ditch on the side of the highway not paying a bit of attention to anything going on. There's coyotes that are oblivious to people let alone a light or a call. I don't doubt it one bit. We predator hunted till 5 in the morning so I can guarantee you there's coyotes just like you described. I wasn't doing the contest though.

This is simple..

When you hand out more money than most people make in a week. THEY ARE CHEATING.. SO either put your money into the pot and try and win, or don't and then don't feel like you got cheated.

I used to do contests until it was clear that some teams were grouping up and others were trying to use laminated jaw traps with rubber coating.

I don't participate anymore. So, if others want to play they need to take that into consideration. Lie detector tests are not what you pay for them.

40 coyotes in a night. Seems like a very high number for sure. Good for the rancher that owns that land. I bet he is happy.

Just from being friends with the winners on Facebook and seeing how well they do every time they go out I have no doubt that they DID NOT cheat. As far as the guy saying the playing field isn't even because they have land...... Stop complaining. Success doesn't start when you turn the call on. Success starts years before when you're out poundin the pavement getting ground and making contacts. When you have insanely huge parcels of land that you manage and only use for contest you drastically increase you chances of winning. That's just good business and preparation . These guys didn't go buy a call on Thursday and enter a tournament on Saturday.

In the past, I have hunted several times with Bruce. He was a hand then and I am sure he aint got nothing but better over the years.
congrats on your teams win Bruce.

Stay after them
Kelly

I think it's a tragedy that anything like this was allowed. I'm glad I don't participate, and I think that in the end it will become a legal matter. Someone with money will take it personally and the contest will either shut down or restructure. I asked last year what it would take to open eyes. I thought 40 would do it, but maybe it will take 50.

Last edited:
If the winning team did shoot 40 coyotes in a 24 hour period, with 500 teams, I would think that should be the world Championships next year..

I would bet the group that did put it on, is one tired group of people with dealing with 500 teams.(if that is the right team number count)

Yes it was 502 teams.

Yellowhammer, I read their rules last night. It's the integrity of the contest that's in question as much as anything.

I had hoped that they may tighten it down if enough people complained. I guess there are still some that want to believe it, perhaps this creates a benchmark or goal for them. That may be the silver lining- more people out hunting harder than ever.

In the end, I don't even have a dog in this fight. There are plenty of other good contests out there, and I'm done talking about this one. Have a good rest of the season.

Last edited:
It seems anytime a contest happens their are always doubts as to the total number of critters taken whether fair or not fair.

Then people that know the winning people will vouch for them kinda like this -
They have a record amount of ground to hunt
They are the best hunters they know in the world
They scouted for years and years and years
They traveled many miles looking for ground, broke their knuckles knocking on doors....Blah blah blah................

40 in 24 hours? That works out to 1.66 coyotes shot per hour and doesn't include the missed ones....

Anything can happen I guess, but 40? Really?

Lol, why isn't it possible I hope your kidding. Jealousy is a nasty thing. Better put me under the cheater category then to cause i guess it's not possible to kill coyotes like that. Before you lip off and smear people's name in the dirt come up with sone proof maybe first?? See, a few guys who get there [beeep] kicked, make a descion they want to become the best and they put WORK in. The majority like you guys complain and accuse people of cheating. Pathetic. Shaking my head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: getemcloseLol, why isn't it possible I hope your kidding. Jealousy is a nasty thing. Better put me under the cheater category then to cause i guess it's not possible to kill coyotes like that. Before you lip off and smear people's name in the dirt come up with sone proof maybe first?? See a few guys who get there [beeep] kicked make a descion they want to become the best and they put WORK in. The majority like you guys complain and accuse people of cheating. Pathetic. Shaking my head.

To whom are your referring?

It's possible.. I guess if I had a 300 blk out and a suppressor, and a tall rack with someone sitting in it all day.. That could work. Do 30 stands and 33% are doubles that could work. It could happen.

Or a high rack during the night, and a chopper during the day. I could see it. It would seem that it depends on how you compare your style of hunting to that outcome. But, it's a different state, with different rules.

Go out for night hunting with Thermals for two weeks and leave bait piles of hogs and then go back for the contest, that could work too. I guess you would have to just think about it with their rules not yours in your state.

My partner and I have killed 15-20 coyotes multiple times calling. And only calling. In 8 to 10 hours. Why couldn't they call and kill 40. Especially if they get to hammer them at night. Someone could check in 50 coyotes and I wouldn't immediately question them. The guys who know how it's done are the only ones who will ever understand.

Last edited:
Quote:Go out for night hunting with Thermals for two weeks and leave bait piles of hogs and then go back for the contest, that could work too.

Baiting, night vision and thermal are not allowed in that contest.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:Go out for night hunting with Thermals for two weeks and leave bait piles of hogs and then go back for the contest, that could work too.

Baiting, night vision and thermal are not allowed in that contest.

Hmmmmmmmm?

Guys in good country 40 is not impossible. Sounds like a lot of coyotes and it is. You kill multiple doubles a few triples and maybe 4 on one stand and they start adding up pretty fast. To say these boys cheated without a doubt is unfair to them. The way I understand it a team had 33 and another team had like 27. Did they cheat to?

It's hard to believe 40 were killed in just 24 hours if night hunting was not allowed, but it is not impossible. I've always thought that in a big tournament like that, everyone should have to attend a meeting the night before the tournament. The tournament director could then hand out a playing card from a deck of cards (or something along those lines) with his signature on it. Then each team would have to purchase a newspaper the morning before they start hunting. Every animal taken, would then have to have a picture taken with one of the hunters in the picture, as well a the newspaper, and the signed playing card clearly in view. This would greatly decrease the amount of cheating that goes on in tournaments. I'm not going to call these winners cheaters, because I do not know. But I do know that if you put any kind of significant money on the line in an event like this, some people are going to cheat. I wish everyone had the morals to not cheat, but a lot of people in the world don't. I for one feel much better about a poor finish, that I put all my effort into, than I ever could about a 1st place finish that I cheated to get. My 2 cents.

Back