Hello all from new member

safari71

Hello all
Well I have been forced to switch gears. As an avid varmint hunter for 30 years and reader of varmint hunter magazine for 25 until its demise. Here in central Ohio woodchucks are few and far between to the point I am surprised they are not on the threatened species list. I think the over population of coyotes is the cause so now I want to learn how to hunt them. I purchased a FoxPro wildfire call and was wandering if I need an attractant device as well to plug in to caller. Great forum here thanks
Robert

As several stated....a Decoy is not needed,but in some circumstances it could help in my opinion.Personally I like the simple and affordable Hunter Specialties Feather Distractor that is easy to use and it folds in half so it's easy to carry out in the Field and it helps to draw the attention to it and away from the Caller plus it helps in seeing the wind direction.

Welcome! Originally from Ohio here, came west and never looked back! And to answer your question, same as above, not a big fan of decoys! Good luck, hope u gettem! There's a heck of a lot of good peeps here with a wealth of knowledge. Take it to heart, will make you successful. Good luck!

I once wondered the same thing about the decoys. I have one and it stays at home. What kind of terrain do you hunt? Is it wide open field country or do you hunt wooded areas and small fields?

Thanks All for the warm welcome. I am going to try to start out hunting by setting up in the brush of a ditch line overlooking some small hay fields surrounded by hilly woodlots. After some reading here I wish I would have kept my 700VS 22-250. Although before I start to reload for my .223 I will stay inside 200 yards with 53gr superformance. I now shoot a colt cr6720 with 3lb timmney,vx3 6.5-20x50 prs stock it is a heavyweight but a very good shooter. we will see what happens I cant wait to try my hand at this new venture.
Thanks for all the replies
Robert

Back