Idaho / Southwest Oregon Hunters

Originally Posted By: broperBrendan,
Are you a friend of Gary Mathews?

Yes. For several years, Gary was my calling partner. I was in the club when it was the Gem State Predator Hunters. I now use dogs and trap quite a bit.

I know Gary well. I'm in the Idaho Varmint Hunters club. He has become a good friend. Good guy to go calling with. He mentions you quite often and speaks highly of your varmint hunting abilities.

Originally Posted By: broperI know Gary well. I'm in the Idaho Varmint Hunters club. He has become a good friend. Good guy to go calling with. He mentions you quite often and speaks highly of your varmint hunting abilities.

Gary is a good guy for sure. He's a bit tied up having to care for his mom in her last days here. He's welcome to go calling with me any time. Lot of memories there. I think what I brought to the table was energy and drive. What Gary brought was hard won experience and deep knowledge. I look forward to meeting you.

Double CK. for a while there it was nuts. Changed the color of the sky for days. Some ranchers got nailed hard and lost a lot of stock and available land. Sad deal for a lot of good people.

Brendan,
Have things died down enough up there to make for a pleasant visit and a little calling up there in some wolf country?
Craig

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKBrendan,
Have things died down enough up there to make for a pleasant visit and a little calling up there in some wolf country?
Craig
Definitely. It's rained a bit. Fire restrictions will likely ease over time. i wonder if it may improve calling due to some affected packs moving due to habitat destruction. The Owyhees were heavily affected, maybe the most, and from what I know- I may be wrong- there isn't a huge wolf presence there. Go north of Boise, which was also affected, and they are much more common. Look me up if you get into my area, and I'll be more than happy to make time to take you to some great coyote calling areas. While not so much into wolves, I know some people who are, including a neighbor who holds some kind of record for annual wolf kills, for what year, I'm not sure. He's pretty free with info.

Wolf population in Idaho are down big time. Due to "who really knows"?
Coyote? What coyotes? Their population in the west crashed 10 years ago due to disease and hasn't come back at all. Due to fires millions of habitat acres up in smoke and hasn't come and never will in our life time. Also hunting pressure year round and the coyotes are losing their foothold.
Fires our out or close to being called controlled. You'll probably still see smoke in the timber fires all winter.
The Soda fire screwed up the country for years to come. We thought that when the Long Draw fire happened years ago that the coyotes would just move out to the borders. Never did find that magical spot. The fires move to fast at times for animals to get out of way now a days.

We haven't had to much problem finding coyotes and I hear they're already being seen around the area's that were burned off this summer. A couple years ago I saw two coyotes in the Owyhees, drove down the road about a mile and saw three wolves. I've also seen wolves just north of Ola, they were right alongside the road, one black one.

Originally Posted By: Brendan43Originally Posted By: DoubleCKBrendan,
Craig
Definitely. It's rained a bit. Fire restrictions will likely ease over time. i wonder if it may improve calling due to some affected packs moving due to habitat destruction. The Owyhees were heavily affected, maybe the most, and from what I know- I may be wrong- there isn't a huge wolf presence there. Go north of Boise, which was also affected, and they are much more common. Look me up if you get into my area, and I'll be more than happy to make time to take you to some great coyote calling areas. While not so much into wolves, I know some people who are, including a neighbor who holds some kind of record for annual wolf kills, for what year, I'm not sure. He's pretty free with info.

That would be great Brendan. PM incoming.

Craig

Hey idahovarmintcaller.
We're having our first tournament of the season on Oct. 8, 9, 10th. Sign and rules reading on Thurs, evening. Hunt on Fri. & Sat. with check in at 6:00 p m on sat. Why don't you come down and check it out? Be a good way to meet some other varmint/predator hunters.
Bob

I know it's pretty late notice, but I'm headed out this morning. I'm gonna venture out south of the State Prison in Boise. I've never been out there before, so I'll be playing it by ear and hunt/scouting at the same time. If anyone is out and about, I'll be in a green Tundra.

The Idaho Varmint Hunters first coyote contest of the season was last week end. It went pretty well. We had nine teams entered. We were hoping for more but that was also opening day of deer season. There was a total of 43 coyotes brought in for the two days. First place had eleven, second place, ten and third place, eight. It was very warm, 95 at two o'clock on Saturday. Might have got more with cooler weather. Some of them were already starting to fur up a little but they need at least another month. Had a lot of fun and enjoyed getting out after them again.
Bob

I'm a big game hunter new to the sport and in the Boise area. I know it's a little late in the season, but I'm building a predator rig now and interested in meeting up with people and/or tagging along on any hunts in the Treasure Valley area.

Originally Posted By: TaterTotI know it's pretty late notice, but I'm headed out this morning. I'm gonna venture out south of the State Prison in Boise. I've never been out there before, so I'll be playing it by ear and hunt/scouting at the same time. If anyone is out and about, I'll be in a green Tundra.

Any luck? This is real close to my neck of the woods and an area I've thought to check out, but I've heard pressure is so bad around town that you're lucky to see them in this close.

Matlock, you should hit up the Idaho Varmint Hunters meeting next Tuesday at the restaurant broper mentioned early in this thread.

Eric

I know. I've been wanting to check that out so I can actually meet some people. Got a prior commitment, so may have to take a rain check for the next one.

Originally Posted By: MatlockOriginally Posted By: TaterTotI know it's pretty late notice, but I'm headed out this morning. I'm gonna venture out south of the State Prison in Boise. I've never been out there before, so I'll be playing it by ear and hunt/scouting at the same time. If anyone is out and about, I'll be in a green Tundra.

Any luck? This is real close to my neck of the woods and an area I've thought to check out, but I've heard pressure is so bad around town that you're lucky to see them in this close.

Actually, I did manage to call a couple in out there. I called one in and got winded on one stand, and called and killed one later in the day on another stand.

Sill wanting to meet up with some guys eventually. Between my work and family, it's been a bit of a challenge to actually commit to a time and place.

Nice work! I was just talking to a guy over the weekend that lives in Eagle over by The Idaho Velo Park. He said he walks his dog out there every morning and regularly sees coyotes out that way. But this is pretty close to civilization so not sure any opportunities there.

I'd like to meet up with some guys too. As previously mentioned, I'm just getting into this, so even tagging along on hunts and learning the tricks of the trade would be a big plus for me. I'll PM you my info in case you ever want to get in touch.

Back