Baiting

Originally Posted By: UP North18Well my baiting has really dropped off, but that didnt stop me from getting pics of this guy!

UP north where you located, I have tried for the last two years to get a picture of the wolves in our area, no luck.

First wolf pics I have ever gotten. Camera was out for over a week and I had 115 pics, two pics of a coyote running off with the bait and about 10 pics of the wolf.

WOW DANNYK small world I have property in Chatham !!! And have been thinking of coming up their and try coyote hunting . But did not know if the snowmobiling would bother the hunting ??

Originally Posted By: UP North18Thanks everyone!

Dannyk, the pictures were taken off of 550 in Marquette. Half way between Marquette and Big Bay.

Thanks, great pictures by the way. We have a pair cruising the camp property, every time I set up a camera they cross the road in a different spot.

Lots of action on my new bait site last night - - finally!
smile.gif
I had a BLAST
smile.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dannyk
Thanks, great pictures by the way. We have a pair cruising the camp property, every time I set up a camera they cross the road in a different spot.

Where abouts is your camp located?

Originally Posted By: UP North18 Originally Posted By: dannyk

Where abouts is your camp located?

Close to Gwinn, friends camp, I hunt bear and predators there.

Got some more bait last nigth, a moose cow! It had beded down in someones yard and just died there, so i got it to use for bait! Chased a nice fox with the dog yesterday. Will post some pictures of the bait site tonight, i can feel a foxy getting some nosler love tonight

Hey guys; long time reader first time posted. Looking for any suggestions to achieve better results bringing in the coyote into my bait site.
I hunt 350 acres in NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS which is bordered by forest preserve on 3 sides and a small river on the other. The coyote here have very little hunting pressure and there is a large population of them. Walking out of the deer woods at dark thirty they sounds like they're only 30 yards away. Makes me a little nervous walking out with only my bow. Rules state I cannot CC while deer hunting. In the last several years we've lost several deer to the yote if can't be tracked right away. We use to have Pheasants but not anymore and a rabbit sighting is scarce.
The last 5 acres I purchased had a 3 bedroom mobile home that the people were living in and its situated in the middle of this land and very remote. I call this deer camp now.

This is the bedroom window I transformed into the shooting station

This is the business end

View out window 80 yards to bait site

From bait site to deer camp.

At the bait site I have 3 RECONYX black flash trail cams and 3 CHAIMBERLAIN motion sensors. Also sometimes use the WICKED LIGHTS feeder light in RED.
My bait cicle consists of 15# fresh beef trimmings and half gal. cheap dog food. This is the third bait ball I've put out in 4 weeks and has only draw in raccoons; possums, squirrels and birds.
I have access to panfish scraps since I live at a private lake that has a fish cleaning facility and no shortage of ice fishermen. Would that be worth a try or do I just need to wait till the yotes find the bait. I stay out there about 2 nights a week and surely would like to get some shots at them there yotes. After the deer that we've lost to them and the lack of Pheasants I kinda think I want some payback. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
H------------

Personally I wouldn't use fish, at least here in warmer weather they attract skunks bigtime. your situation could be different though

Is it legal to use road kill deer in your state? If so, you might drag one around and leave a scent trail leading back to your bait site when you stake it down. Unless you have some way to widen the scent area, you'll just have to wait for them to eventually find it.

I think it was Brian Downs (Sp?) that had an article in Predator Extreme about "satellite baiting". Similar to what DoubleUp suggested you might try putting out some small pieces of bait in a spoke pattern out 50-100 yards from your baitcicle. This will give you a bigger foot print and make it easier for them to find your main bait site.

Your set up looks great.
thumbup1.gif

Back