5 min AZ elk hunt

Tbone-AZ

This year was the eighth year that I've been selected for an elk tag, to the Arizona lottery system. For the eighth year in a row I have been very lucky and successfully filled my tag. I would personally say that this is attributed directly to coyote hunting. Elk hunting seems to be a lot easier after spending so much time in the field coyote hunting.
My hunt started last Friday. My Friend and I got up and headed out to an area we thought would have elk. We parked the truck and walked to the spot where we wanted to try and call for some elk. A place with great views good lanes and a large field of view to see any approaching elk. We started calling in in less than five minutes the elk hunt of 2015 is over. Weeks of working out, trips to the range. Lots of preparation to be ready. Made it all worthwhile and only take five minutes. This picture is us with a nice cow. Mountain dew in the picture is because one of the kids, that was out hunting, want to Mountain Dew. And my buddy told him Mountain Dew's for winners. He could have a Mountain Dew when he got his elk. So we took a picture with the Mountain Dew. Then a few days later he sent us a text picture with his Mountain Dew. He was a sharp kid. The shot was only 50 ft, using my 300 win mag for a behind the ear butcher shot.

Thank you.
I had an any Elk Tag, and I could have kept looking for a trophy bull, (there are several in that area) but, I don't hunt antlers, and only hunt elk for freezer meat. I understand those that do hunt for Antlers, it's just not for me. I figured this was a good sized cow, and took her, and spent the rest of the day (after dropping at the processor for a 3 day hang only) hunting coyotes until it was time to head home and do the butchering.

I personally find that butchering the elk yourself is more rewarding than antlers. There is something to be said for taking the time to not just hunt the Elk, but then also butcher it yourself too. It's been a learning experience, but one that i found rewarding.
If you don't do it yourself and might want to try it, I would recommend watching the Outdoor Edge big game processor video. That guy is goofy, but he takes you step-by-step through the process, and explains why he does it the way he does, and what the cuts are.
I found that after watching it, it's not that hard, and I end up with a lot less Burger and more stew meat, and not one person has ever said it tastes gammie since I started doing it myself. Besides the processors here are charging 90cents/lbs to process it.

She came in faster than a lot of coyotes! I take it plugging her in the head with a 300 win mag was not a very difficult tracking job;) can't imagine the size of freezers you elk and moose hunters have...

ha, ya she dropped right on the spot and was laying on her own head. I was surprised at how the bullet mostly went right through without blowing out the back of the skull.

I have a 7cf chest freezer for the elk. It usually fills it about half way, but this year was a little less since it was a cow and not a large one.

All the legs and body meat only weighted in at 185lbs, It's usually more than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqSPYSuiFQA&feature=youtu.be

Nice job T-bone, I too filled my freezer with a nice cow this year on Utah's archery elk hunt. And your right it is way more satisfying doing the butchering yourself.
thumbup1.gif

thanks.. I am wondering about if I should put in this year or not. They raised the price again..
148 for the tag, then 50 for the lic, then another 50 for the base fee, and another fee for the feds.
It's starting to add up..

It's like turkey tags costing more than a turkey in the store already dead, and ready to go. For me that just doesn't make sense. When i have to go out and get it.

Instead i was thinking about just putting my kid in for her first elk and call it good with her, and her tag is 65 and a 10 dollar lic.

Oh well.. anyways for those in AZ, this is the week to submit your lottery application for the fall Elk hunt.

Good luck to all.

When I put my daughter in I had to do a double take because I forgot hers was only $65. Plus only $5 for her license. I want to be a kid again.... or at least get to hunt as one.

I put in regardless of the cost. I can't stand NOT elk hunting. lol

Neat video. Are you using a distressed calf call?

Harvested my first cow elk this past Oct. She was hanging with a small bull. Just trying to learn. Thx.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatWhen I put my daughter in I had to do a double take because I forgot hers was only $65. Plus only $5 for her license. I want to be a kid again.... or at least get to hunt as one.

I put in regardless of the cost. I can't stand NOT elk hunting. lol

I'm with you, I'll miss Christmas and my birthday before I'll ever miss elk season!!

Back